classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mid station loading?

x10003q
Brownski wrote
I feel like Killington had a mid loading station at one point- maybe on the chair that the new gondola replaced?
The Killington double had a "midstation" at 3450ft elevation. It served the upper 650ft of vertical. Way back in the 1970s/1980s, the last turns of the season were on Downdraft/Cascade up at the top of Killington Peak. I think they also used the same set-up to open in the early season. They switched the late season skiing to Superstar before they took out the Killington double.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
x10003q wrote
Brownski wrote
I feel like Killington had a mid loading station at one point- maybe on the chair that the new gondola replaced?
The Killington double had a "midstation" at 3450ft elevation. It served the upper 650ft of vertical. Way back in the 1970s/1980s, the last turns of the season were on Downdraft/Cascade up at the top of Killington Peak. I think they also used the same set-up to open in the early season. They switched the late season skiing to Superstar before they took out the Killington double.
I remember that chair and mid station quite well.. The chair was a cold beast too
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
JasonWx wrote
x10003q wrote
Brownski wrote
I remember that chair and mid station quite well.. The chair was a cold beast too
So cold. One of the Eastern doubles where you were handed a wool poncho or 3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Somewhat related to mid-stations -- how many of you remember the famous liftie on the Tomahawk chair at Belleayre? I wrote a memorial blog piece about him and can't believe it's already been eight years since his passing. For the record, Belle still has two chairs with mid-stations; however, they're only for unloading.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That’s a really nice write up there James.

I remember the “go go go” liftie at MRG.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I also love that piece, with a comment from Jerry's grandson.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I appreciate the comments, RA and Harv.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
There is rarely a time that I'm on the West Side and I don't have a thought about Jerry in the Mid Station lift shack letting the sounds of classical music rain down the slopes. I miss it every time I'm over there.