Mitigating tourism in the Daks

74 messages Options
1 ... 345678
Brownski Brownski
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Mitigating tourism in the Daks

I used to drive an X5 . That thing was ridiculous and I didn’t even have the big engine. I don’t think we need to blame all Canadians. I’m sure this dude was from Quebec
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

Meanwhile I saw this in the ADK Daily Enterprise.  Housing too expensive in LP?  Live in Jay.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/07/task-force-wants-jay-to-be-housing-hub/
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

The property taxes in Jay are all out of wack.  I know a person that is not going to get more than 160 for his house and he is paying close to 6k in taxes.   LP the tax burden would be more like 2.5k
Z Z
Reply |

But that same $160k house in  LP would sell for $300k and be on a sliver of land in compared to probably an acre in Jay

The schools are a mess.  I can’t understand why the school district is paying close to 1M in salaries for the supervisor and his staff to run 3 schools.  You could cut out the whole supervisors office staff and make no difference in the education quality
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
PFunk_Spock PFunk_Spock
Reply |

To be honest, I don't see how there is an affordable housing problem in the area. You can buy the better part of 100 different houses within 15-20 minutes of LP for under 200k. You can't build a replacement for under that.

Also, there are exactly zero jobs currently listed, does the Enterprise just suck at that? I'd be living there instead of where I do in all reality if I could find myself a job.

http://www.hot-ads.com/browse/index.cfm?SID=NY&RGID=10000000000&CID=23
Z Z
Reply |

What kind of job are you looking for?

Employment is near zero locally for people that actually want to work
PFunk_Spock PFunk_Spock
Reply |

Project Management in construction, but I was an accounting controller in previous life as well.
Z Z
Reply |

That might be really tough to find in the Daks
There are plenty of small contractors and guys in pickups that bang nails but very few bigger firms of the size to have dedicated project managers.  When some large gets built the firms are not usually local

Maybe try Ward Lumber as they hire for their sales team those with contracting backgrounds

Obviously jobs in tourism and hotel restaurants are big.  Professionals in banking, real estate, health care, are in demand so maybe the accounting area would be what I’d suggest you look for.

Other option might be a corporate telecommuting job which is what I do.

Good luck in the job search
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I think that widely accessible broadband could really help the Adirondacks.  I have a hard time working when I come up.  If my daughter is streaming I can't work.

A few years ago I remember SBR posting a photo of "them" installing fiber optic cable on his dirt road in remote Ontario.

How is your connectivity where you are Z?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

No.
In part of what I enjoy about the dacks is the lack of communication. It's part of what keeps the north country special in my mind. I'm lucky to have the same in my area.
1 ... 345678