Most Livable Ski Towns

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most Livable Ski Towns

skunkape
This is crap. Why wouldn't any lake tahoe area towns be on here? Truckee, SLT, Incline Village, etc. Tahoe is amazing year round, and if you get landlock crazy you can get to a coast in about 4 hours.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John:  I found that route on via the Whiteface-Wilmington Road Race which I found online.  It was an amazing route.  When I am back next summer I will post.  Hopefully someone will want to join me on ride or two.  Did I also mention that during the whole time I biked/ran in Wimington/Lake Placid I never once got yelled at or honked at.  That's amazing considering I did some 500K+ that week.  Everyone was super friendly.    

Not only that when I got up the top of Whiteface I had people clapping and giving me high fives  True story.  

Coach Z:  Not sure the US (or any company in the US) would want a guy to immigrate who manages a test team from his house in the mountains :)

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
What a strange choice for #1.
Alphabetical order, Benny.

And yes, a real ski town needs a grocery store. Not having one is a disqualifier. I'm partial to towns where lifts come straight out of town (Park City, Telluride), but I'll consider anywhere with a solid ski area within 25 minutes.

Durango was okay. I actually thought I'd like it more than I did. Durango Mountain Resort kinda blows (although I definitely didn't hit it on a good day... And maybe I was spoiled by skiing Silverton and Telluride the previous 2 days). I also got the "Rust Belt Cowboy" vibe. It actually felt la little ike Barre, VT. Agree that Salida looks better (but never been there).

Still think the best scenario is a small town close to skiing  like Bend, Bozeman, or Truckee. But I think I could live in Breck, Frisco, Stowe, Crested Butte, Fernie, Girdwood, or Flagstaff. Aspen and Sun Valley would be cool if I ever win the lottery.

Lake Placid? Meh, I think SJ has the right idea with Wilmington. I like the vibe slightly better.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by BigK75
Stupid me

I didn't see you were from the Hinterlands and it was right there in your avatar

The area I live has become quite popular with Montreal residents to buy 2nd homes
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Durango was okay. I actually thought I'd like it more than I did. Durango Mountain Resort kinda blows (although I definitely didn't hit it on a good day... And maybe I was spoiled by skiing Silverton and Telluride the previous 2 days).
Did you get to check out Wolf Creek at all?

Purg/DMR is no bueno. If I was to move there, it would be all about Wolf creek and/or Silverton/touring. I spent a day at Coalbank Pass on my drive out last year. Some reallly cool stuff in there. Plus sled access is nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
mattchuck2 wrote
Durango was okay. I actually thought I'd like it more than I did. Durango Mountain Resort kinda blows (although I definitely didn't hit it on a good day... And maybe I was spoiled by skiing Silverton and Telluride the previous 2 days). I also got the "Rust Belt Cowboy" vibe.
Dude, I also got DMR on an epic day. The terrain is not excellent, but if every day is sunny and powdery I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. Some nice trees and limited, but empty, steeps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
ml242 wrote
 "Rust Belt Cowboy" vibe
Sorry for being dense, but could you explain that? Haven't been to Durango in 22 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Dude, I also got DMR on an epic day. The terrain is not excellent, but if every day is sunny and powdery I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. Some nice trees and limited, but empty, steeps.
Meh. If I'm moving somewhere, it's going to have to be better than "the terrain is not excellent". The setup of the mountain was weird, too. Like the lifts were in the wrong places.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Killington's access road is not a town.   Should not be on the list.  

Banff is the closest thing I can think of that would meet the criteria listed.   Full service town with epic skiing all around.     Park city not on the list?    Lots of work, lots of housing, full service and plenty of skiing.  (the work requirment is easily managed, talk to the locals, lots of "jobs" in the park that qualify you to live there but dont require much time/effort.

Telluride is the place I'd want to be.    

Also agree Tahoe should be listed.  

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
mattchuck2 wrote
Still think the best scenario is a small town close to skiing  like Bend, Bozeman, or Truckee.
Towns with larger ski areas that are not considered "ski towns" are definitely the way to go.  I spent a few weeks in Missoula MT prior to making the decision to move to Wenatchee WA.  Although both have large ski areas within a short drive, neither are really considered ski towns.  In my opinion, both are fantastic ski communities without lots of tourism related infrastructure.  I don't think I would like living in a town with a "destination" resort.  I don't like being around lots of tourists... especially when I am not on vacation.