classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mount Pisgah, NY 2/17/2014

nelsap
This post was updated on .
One of the chapters in my next book, Lost Ski Areas of the Northern Adirondacks will be on open ski areas. On Monday I had 2 more areas to hit up, and Mt. Pisgah in Saranac Lake was one of them.

What a perfect morning! Cold temps but not wind, full sunshine, perfect snow, etc. Was able to be the first rider on the T-bar so first tracks!

Mt. Pisgah has made many improvements in the last few years. They have excellent grooming, a new T-bar (a Dopplemayr with retractable T's! Hadn't ridden one of those in a very long time), a new lodge, and snowmaking on their main slope. The ski area has a vertical of 300', has a main slope that is split in two by the T-bar, a side trail on the eastern side and western side (the western used to be part of a toboggan chute), and a gladed area with narrow chutes at the top on skier's left.

The major investments in Mt. Pisgah over the last few years have transformed the hill and should position it well into the future.

I had time for about a dozen runs (the T-bar is not a fast lift) and really enjoyed myself. Lunch was cheap too- cheeseburger, fries, and a gatorade for 7.50!

Jeremy

Inside the base lodge. Ski memorabilia on the walls
Inside the base lodge

Early morning grooming
Early morning grooming

T-bar and groomer
T-bar with the groomer

Riding the T-bar
Riding the T-bar

T-bar and Whiteface
T-bar and Whiteface

Corduroy from the summit
Corduroy from the summit

Main Slope
Main Slope

Powder on side trail
Powder on Side Trail

Chute, a remnant of a toboggan run
Chute

Glades
Glades

Video of a run down the main slope

Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mount Pisgah, NY 2/17/2014

PeeTex
Mt Pisgah is one of those places that is right in the world. A perfect place to start the kids on their ski journey.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mount Pisgah, NY 2/17/2014

MadPatSki
Sweet!!! Always been curious about this place when I'm driving down from Ottawa.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography