4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mount Snow, VT: 11/22/14

jimvdak
This post was updated on .
Ski Day #1

We were staying in Albany with family, so we headed out on the road at around 6:30 to head into Southern Vermont. Originally we were going to ski Whiteface because of all that open vert, but the wind was forecast to be excessive.

It was a balmy 21 degrees and cloudy at the base when we got there, but a calm wind and the snow looked great! Mount Snow was open top-to-bottom on opening day, with Long John, Ridge, Cascade, Canyon, and Snowdance - a great trail count for opening day! But no expert terrain.

Halfway up the mountain, the winds were extremely high -- i'd estimate at 25mph+. The bubble lift I've always made fun of came in handy...

Ridge was left ungroomed after several nights and days of steady snowmaking.

Ridge had some of the best man-made snow I've ever skied! (Pictured: not me)

The liftlines stayed fairly short - I'd say 5 minutes tops at the peak of the day. I skied solo for a majority of the day, so there was no wait in the singles lane.

The skies cleared and we were skiing under the sun by mid-morning. This is Cascade I believe..Both Cascade and Canyon were groomed - proved to be great in the morning, but skied off hardpack later in the day. The ungroomed man-made powder held very well through the day..

Some final runs on Snowdance. The wind started to pick up even more as the day went on, even at mid-mountain. It was typically better skier's left on the mountain rather than the trails to the right.

We stopped skiing at around 1:30 because we had to get back to the house for a party. Overall it was a really great, easy first day on the mountain to ease myself back into the season.
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mount Snow, VT: 11/22/14

Adk Jeff
Looks surprisingly uncrowded in the video.
I wonder if the wind ended up being an issue at WF on Saturday, maybe one of the WF guys will chime in..
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Adk Jeff wrote
Looks surprisingly uncrowded in the video.
I wonder if the wind ended up being an issue at WF on Saturday, maybe one of the WF guys will chime in..
I was impressed that it wasn't that crowded. A good number of the crowds stayed on the groomed trails for some reason..

And i really hope it was an issue at WF simply because I'll be kicking myself if it wasn't...
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
ahh maybe we will go there next weekend.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com