classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mtb - flume trails

Chris
This post was updated on .
Jess and I finally had a day to get up to the Wilmington/Placid area today.  Took our bikes and rode the Flume trail system located just past Whiteface.  Some really fun, well maintained trails.  We took off from the trail head and did the couple small loops off the Corridor trail, continued further up and took the Erotic trail, or was it Erratic?  It had a long new bridge on it over some wet stuff- from the erratic trail we peddled on toward Marble mt.  Once we got to the base of Marble the trail gets very steep and unridable, so we ditched the bikes and made the .9 mile steep hike to the top for a pbj Brunch.
After descending Marble we hopped back on the bikes for the well earned downhill back toward the Flume Trail system and took the Ridge Trail up and around toward Whiteface.  The Ridge trail gives you the option of taking the upper connection trail to Whiteface, but we were tired and decided to bomb down to the trailhead.
Once back at the car we threw some food in the pack and walked down and had a nice swim/lunch before the rain squeezed it's way into the area.
We'll be back very soon, wish we had a camera right now, so no pictures.. though today was motivation to get a new one soon.
It's been a good couple weeks, last week we took a trip to Rutland and rode the Pine Hill park trails, these too have some GREAT riding, extremely well maintained and some really cool bridges.  I would say the the Flume trails are a bit tougher, only because more rocks/roots.  Tighter single track as well.

If you haven't gotten into the mountain bike scene, do it.  I didn't think it was going to be all it's cracked up to be, boy was I wrong.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mtb - flume trails

MC2 5678F589
Chris wrote
If you haven't gotten into the mountain bike scene, do it.  I didn't think it was going to be all it's cracked up to be, boy was I wrong.
Definitely agree with this.  I thought it would be just like riding on the road, but in the woods.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  The transfer of skiing skills, choices of different lines and exploration of different areas make it an awesome summertime activity.  I picked it up as a way to kill time during the summer months, but it's actually something that I really look forward to now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mtb - flume trails

Adk Jeff
mattchuck2 wrote
Chris wrote
Definitely agree with this.  I thought it would be just like riding on the road, but in the woods.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  The transfer of skiing skills, choices of different lines and exploration of different areas make it an awesome summertime activity.  I picked it up as a way to kill time during the summer months, but it's actually something that I really look forward to now.
+1 to what Matt said.
I'm hardly part of "the scene" since I'm just out riding on my own on a 15-yr old bike, but I find it very similar to tree skiing:  balance, feet, turning, picking a line.  Very high on the fun meter, dangerously so.  Almost makes me want to give up running and just go mountain biking.