Multi mountain pass options

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
41 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multi mountain pass options

Hoser
How does MCP compare to icon and Alterra in this list?
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Hoser wrote
How does MCP compare to icon and Alterra in this list?
This is the list to answer that question.  Can you tell I spend a lot of time thinking about multi-resort passes? :-)

It's very hard to say if the MCP will be offered for 2019-20.  It does serve a different purpose.  An exec with Aspen Ski Co. came up with idea originally.  A lower entry cost so less of a commitment.  Doing two short trips to two destinations (3-4 ski days each) or a full week in SLC is enough to make considering the MCP worthwhile.  But does very little in the northeast since Sugarbush is the only location.

If seriously interested in MCP destinations, then pays to buy in the spring to get the lowest price and the bonus day at one pre-selected location.  I ended up adding Ikon to the MCP for 2018-19 because I had plans for a couple ski safaris in the northeast, plus longer trips to Taos and Alta/Snowbird so will come out ahead compared to paying 50% for additional days using the MCP.  As an aside, people who can justify a season pass at MCP resorts get 50% off at the other MCP destinations.  That can work out for a senior who has time/money for travel.

• Mammoth Mountain, CA - Ikon unlimited/5, MCP
        • Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows, CA - Ikon unlimited/unlimited with blackouts, MCP

• Crystal, WA - Ikon unlimited/unlimited
        • The Summit at Snowqualmie, WA - Ikon 7/5

• Big Sky, MT - Ikon 7/5, MCP
        • Jackson Hole, WY - Ikon 7/5, MCP
        • Sun Valley, ID - MCP
        •
        • Alta Ski Area, UT - Ikon 7/5 combined Alta/Snowbird, MCP
        • Snowbird, UT - Ikon 7/5 combined Alta/Snowbird, MCP
        • Solitude, UT - Ikon unlimited/unlimited
        • Brighton, UT - Ikon 7/5
        • Deer Valley, UT - Ikon 7/5
        • Snowbasin, UT - MCP
        •
        • Winter Park, CO - Ikon unlimited/unlimited
        • Copper Mountain, CO - Ikon unlimited/unlimited
        • Steamboat, CO - Ikon unlimited/5
        • Eldora, CO - Ikon unlimited/unlimited
        • Aspen/Snowmass, CO - Ikon 7/5 combined (the usual 4 mountains), MCP
        •
        • Taos Ski Valley, NM - Ikon 7/5, MCP
        •
        • Tremblant, ONT - Ikon unlimited/unlimited
        • Blue, ONT - Ikon unlimited/unlimited
        •
        • Killington, VT - Ikon 7/5
        • Stratton, VT - Ikon unlimited/5
        • Sugarbush, VT - Ikon 7/5, MCP
        •
        • Revelstoke, BC - Ikon 7/5, MCP
        • Banff Sunshine, Alberta - Ikon 7/5 combined SkiBig3, MCP
        • Lake Louise, Alberta - Ikon 7/5 combined SkiBig3, MCP
        • Norquay, Alberta - Ikon 7/5 combined SkiBig3, MCP
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Can someone tell me how the mountain is compensated?  

Obviously there is the lure of a bigger "share" of season pass sales. Greater visitation could mean more F&B.

Do they get a cut every time a mega-pass holder skis at there mountain?
Haven't ever heard about the money involved.

What I learned during my first trip to Taos was they hoped for 5000 MCP holders to show up that first year.  It happened to be a really good snow season.  By early Feb, 2000 people had used their MCP at TSV. [Edit: got the impression most were like me and friends and had never skied Taos before.]

Sun Valley asked to be included in the MCP.  But they seem reticent about Alterra and Ikon for some reason.  Sun Valley and Snowbasin (same owner) are the only MCP resorts not on the 2018-19 Ikon as partners.

When the MCP first started, it seemed deliberate that each region only had one destination.  For instance, only Alta initially so that meant Park City (pre-Vail) was out.  The idea seemed to be to use the 2 included days as incentive to plan a trip with 3+ ski days because of the 50% discount.  The resorts that got into the MCP generally were places that didn't allow discounted lift tickets as can be found on Liftopia.  Liftopia is the source for buying the MCP.  Later on as stories of ski safaris based on the MCP became more common, locations that were close together were added.  Now that Alta and Snowbird are split, possible to ski 7 days on the MCP by flying into SLC if choose a bonus day in Utah.  That means Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin, usually with the bonus day at Alta or Snowbird.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
This is madness.   Thanks!  

For most folks does the pass drive their destinations that they will visit
or
do the destinations they wish to ski drive which pass to purchase?  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Hoser wrote
This is madness.   Thanks!  

For most folks does the pass drive their destinations that they will visit
or
do the destinations they wish to ski drive which pass to purchase?
Don't know what happens more, but I know it works both ways.  Remember, Vail Resorts changed the game out west in 2008 with the first Epic passes.  By 2012, VR pushed into the flatlands market by buying two ski areas in the midwest going after people in Detroit and Minneapolis/St. Paul.  VR added Wilmot for the Chicago market a few years later.  The first MCP season was 2012-13.  By 2014-15 there were 7 destinations after the addition of Banff.  More importantly, the early bird kid price was $99.  I would guess that Alterra hopes that the list of locations on the Ikon out west convinces folks in the northeast to buy Ikon instead of Epic.

I initially got the MCP to cover what was becoming an annual spring break week at Alta.  My family life also started allowing for a 1-week trip out west.  So I picked a MCP location that was on my bucket list.  One season I and two other friends squeezed in two days to check out Sun Valley (driving from SLC) before skiing Alta and Aspen with a couple other friends who could only do a 1-week ski vacation.  Without the MCP, probably would've gone to Snowbasin (not on MCP that season) or Grand Targhee instead.

When Taos was added, that had a direct influence on plans for that season for me and my crew of 3-4 travel buddies.  By then we were all getting the MCP while the bonus day was still available.

For me, Colorado or Tahoe is not of that much interest.  As a result, I hardly paid attention to Epic passes.  Only know more now about the history of VR because I got interested in the ski industry in general.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Window prices are soaring, even as most ski areas/resorts have flexible pricing available online from their own website.  That's in addition to online ticket sellers like Liftopia or GetSkiTickets.

Vail and Beaver Creek window rates went over $200 this season. For comparison: Aspen $179, Breck $189, Deer Valley $180, SquawAlpine $179, Big Sky $155, Park City $169, Jackson Hole $147/$158, Snowbird $125/135.  Folks in VT are stunned to see window prices at Stowe at $147.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
marznc wrote
Window prices are soaring, even as most ski areas/resorts have flexible pricing available online from their own website.  That's in addition to online ticket sellers like Liftopia or GetSkiTickets.

Vail and Beaver Creek window rates went over $200 this season. For comparison: Aspen $179, Breck $189, Deer Valley $180, SquawAlpine $179, Big Sky $155, Park City $169, Jackson Hole $147/$158, Snowbird $125/135.  Folks in VT are stunned to see window prices at Stowe at $147.
with the stock market tanking and economy about to slow...yeah i'm sure this will work out for the above ski areas
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
JasonWx wrote
marznc wrote

with the stock market tanking and economy about to slow...yeah i'm sure this will work out for the above ski areas
What can be important is to make sure that the people who paid well in advance for Epic or Ikon have a good ski vacation at their destination resort of choice.  I know there were complaints about not enough parking at Stowe in recent years.

VR and Alterra already have a lot of money in the bank from Epic and Ikon pass sales.  The focus now is on making sure those passholders want to buy again, and others hear good stories that make them buy for next season.

Deer Valley has a tradition of limiting the number of day tickets.  Powder Mountain is limiting the number of season passes and the number of day tickets.  So there are exceptions to the idea of trying to maximize the number of people on the slopes at all times.  Presumably the black out dates for Ikon Base are also designed to try to keep holiday crowds manageable.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
FYI, the 2018-19 MCP is on sale again as of 1/2/2019.  Sales have been ending at the end of January the last few years.  Price is $509 for adults, up $30 compared to the most recent price before sales stopped during the holiday weeks.

For 2017-18 the final price was $519 and I think the final price for 2016-17 was $499.  The first season, 2012-13, the initial price was $349 for four locations (Aspen, Squaw/Alpine, Alta, JH) and sales ended for the season just before Thanksgiving.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Since the topic of whether Epic or Ikon makes more sense for someone living in the NYC metropolitan area was brought up in another thread, guess it's time to revive this one.

I just finished a longer ski trip out west, based mainly on Full Ikon.  Skied at Taos for 7 days (Taos Ski Week), around SLC (mostly Alta), and Steamboat.  I started getting the MCP several years ago, and had MCP and Base Ikon last season.  Considering getting Epic Local for a season to go explore more in Colorado.  My primary ski buddy and other friends that I travel with also have used MCP and/or Ikon for skiing out west.

Most likely, all the multi-resort passes will become available in early March for next season, 2020-21.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
The only change that happened since Ikon passes were sold for 2019-20 is that Alterra bought Sugarbush.  While there is an expectation that Sugarbush access will be unlimited for Full Ikon for 2020-21, we'll have to wait and see.  Crystal in WA had big issues with too many locals using Ikon as their season pass for a location that doesn't have enough parking or public transportation alternatives.  Even with limited Ikon days, Deer Valley ended up with more people than they were really prepared for when LCC was closed for a couple days.

Solitude has been busier than before Ikon, but not unreasonable.  Paid parking caused bad feelings among locals but there haven't been headlines about parking woes in BCC like there were last season.  Although when LCC was closed, there were people turned back trying to get to Solitude. . . and a few went to Deer Valley.  Had some interesting conversations on the lifts at Alta the week after.

On the other hand, my friends and I didn't find Steamboat to be any more crowded than could be expected over a holiday weekend Feb. 15-17.  Lines were long first thing in the morning at the base, and lunch time was crazy at on-mountain food locations, but after 1:00 things cleared out.  That was true when it was snowing hard on Sun and when it was clear on Mon.  Location matters.

IKON Pass in N. America for 2020-21, as of Feb 2020 - Alterra in bold

California: Squaw/Alpine, Mammoth, June, Big Bear
Washington: Crystal, The Summit at Snoqualmie (Boyne)
Montana: Big Sky
Wyoming: Jackson Hole
Utah: Deer Valley, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton (Boyne)
Colorado: Aspen Ski Co., Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Eldora
New Mexico: Taos Ski Valley

Maine: Sugarloaf (Boyne), Sunday River (Boyne)
New Hampshire: Loon (Boyne)
Vermont: Stratton, Killington (Powdr), Sugarbush
West Virginia: Snowshoe
Michigan: Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands

CANADA
Quebec: Tremblant
Ontario: Blue Mountain
Alberta: Lake Louise, Sunshine, Mt. Norquay (SkiBig3)
British Columbia: Revelstoke, Cypress (Boyne)
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Woo hoo.  Thanks Marz.  

Yes that was the conclusion I reached - if you go Icon right now (which would be better for west trips given my friends condo at Copper), the closest eastern mountain is Sugarbush.  

But our metro family skies somewhere from half to most weekends during the winter, so the (I am guessing) 4.5/4.45 hours to Sugarbush is too far.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yeah, Ikon needs a Hunter.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
Woo hoo.  Thanks Marz.  

Yes that was the conclusion I reached - if you go Icon right now (which would be better for west trips given my friends condo at Copper), the closest eastern mountain is Sugarbush.  

But our metro family skies somewhere from half to most weekends during the winter, so the (I am guessing) 4.5/4.45 hours to Sugarbush is too far.
You're welcome!  Have you skied at Stratton?

What I'm wondering is whether there will be a regional Epic Pass for the east.  Seems as if there would be interest for an Epic NE that included just Okemo, Sunapee, Hunter, and Mt. Snow.  Or perhaps a MidA version with Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop, Hunter, Mt. Snow, Okemo, Sunapee.  Perhaps with limited days at Stowe or could keep Stowe for the full Epic Local.  The Epic Tahoe Local includes three locations in Tahoe, plus limited days at VR resorts in CO/UT.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Would adding Windham to Ikon as a partner make a difference for NYC/NJ folks choosing between Ikon and Epic?
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Yes!   I haven’t skied either place much but sounds like Windham has less crowds.

If ikon had windham I would lean that way.

Though I do recall that W doesn’t have much in the way of steeps.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Would adding Windham to Ikon as a partner make a difference for NYC/NJ folks choosing between Ikon and Epic?
Not me.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Yes I have skied Stratton.  The grooming was good but I wasn’t a big fan.  The base seems kind of cookie cutter fake Stowe Vilage (of course the base of Stowe is now fake but done better).  And while I was a solid intermediate then, I remember it being kind of flat.  Maybe I just didn’t know where the steeps were.  And take it with a grain of salt as I am sure this was over ten years ago.

I don’t know if Eoic has an economic incentive to do the NE only pass given the relatively low price point of Epic local.  But just my 2 cents.
Reply | Threaded
|

SayvilleSteve
Epic is better for NYC/NJ/LI (adding myself) because you can do a day trip to Hunter. Stratton is at least 1.5 hours further (and even Mt Snow--on Epic) is slightly closer.

The drop-off from Hunter to Windham is pretty steep so adding W makes no difference. For all of it's bad reputation, Hunter is a much better mountain than Windham for just about everyone, except maybe families that are intermediate or novices skiers.
marznc wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
I don’t know if Eoic has an economic incentive to do the NE only pass given the relatively low price point of Epic local.  But just my 2 cents.
Agree that for VR having a northeast only (VT/NH plus Hunter) option makes little sense as a Regional Epic pass.  Although it might make seniors and others who ski Okemo and Sunapee midweek very happy.  They might even be happy with a 1-location option, which existed for a couple "urban" VR resorts in the midwest (Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton).

However, what I'm looking for is a mid-Atlantic Epic pass that combines the former Snowtime resorts close to DC/Baltimore, Jack Frost/BB, with Hunter.  Perhaps Mt. Snow too.  That would target folks in DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NJ, and perhaps even a few people in NYC who don't want to drive into northern VT or past Albany.

For my DC friends, the fact that Snowshoe is on Ikon has been a reason to lean towards Ikon.  But Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop were where many of them were driving to ski regularly before Peak Resorts bought Snowtime, not that long before VR took over Peak.