Must see/do at Lake Placid XC ski?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Must see/do at Lake Placid XC ski?

greif
Lookingf at a trip to Lake Placid this winter (been to lots of XC places farther, but never got to LP). Looks like Hoevenberg, Cascade, and Jack Rabbit are must do XC. What else is must do?

For the Jack Rabbit, where is a good starting place for a there, have lunch, and back; around 2 hours each way, preferably downhillish on the way back?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Must see/do at Lake Placid XC ski?

Harvey
Administrator
Peter would be the guy to ask, maybe he will chime in.

Here is the directory that he authored:

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/nordic-ski-areas/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
@ greif:

If you're going to Lake Placid, I'd head to Mount van Hoevenberg first.  They now have snowmaking so they can be open even if the weather isn't cooperative.  It's also an awesome fun place to ski.  Cascade is a classic-only place and connects to van Ho off of Van Ho's Three Trails loop. It's got narrower trails and a more mellow vibe than van Ho.  I think you can get a trail pass that allows access to both areas.

I can't comment on the Jack Rabbit trail; i've never skied it.  If you feel like venturing further afield, Dewey Mountain in Saranac Lake is cool and so are the trails at the Tupper Lake Country Club.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
greif: Van Ho will be open day after Thanksgiving with about 1 km of machine made.