classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mythen, CH 03/08/16: Storm Day

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Don't you love when a weather event overperforms?

Even through yesterday evening, the forecast for overnight snow here in the Mythen Region, where I'm headquartered through Friday, called for little more than a dusting: 3-5 inches. However, London-based Alps meteorological expert Fraser Wilkin at Weather To Ski mentioned that this was "one of those annoying (to forecasters) faintly unstable airflows that can swing either way." It certainly did -- we ended up with 12-16 inches and it's still coming down here in the early evening.

Until last summer, I had no idea that this ski region even existed, but I read several trip reports on Alpinforum (here's one) that talked it up as an off-the-beaten-path choice -- that it was a) way more extensive than you'd ever guess from looking at the trail map, b) like something from your ski childhood: uphill transport was predominantly via t-bars, c) it was cheaper than most places in Switzerland, and d) had a total "your own private ski area" vibe.

The photos were really convincing and the descriptions made it seem like a great place to check out, so I booked a room at a small very reasonably-priced hotel right at the base of the ski area, and this morning there were a total of six cars in the parking lot across the street at 9 am... on a powder day! Alta/Snowbird, this ain't.

First chair, I mean t-bar:

The next four hours were a blur with snow anywhere from calf- to thigh-deep, no wind, and occasionally tough visual orientation due to the driving snow and intermittent fog. The terrain was mostly double-blue in pitch, like a massive Grand Targhee:

My most difficult task was finding people as subjects for photos; the place was empty:

Here's a guy getting ready to launch off a boulder:

And landing in a powder cloud as his friends watch:

By noon, it was getting nuts. Even though the snow could hardly be called champagne powder, I had my first white-room experience in many moons: ten straight turns on a steeper pitch while being completely blinded by spray. There's a skier somewhere in there:

Later in the day: a couple barns, one to sell tickets, the other a lift shack:

As I approached, there was the unmistakable smell of wood being cut. I dig the pipe, as if it had been staged by the Switzerland Tourism Bureau:

Tomorrow is supposed to be bluebird, so I'm planning to take a big tour and try to see as much of Mythen as possible -- and hopefully come back with pix like the guy from Alpinforum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mythen, CH 03/08/16

Brownski
I don't even know what to say; absolutely awesome
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Seriously, how about you organize a trip for us for next winter?  I want to hit this place and the funicular place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
So cool!  I've been dying to ski Switzerland for as long as I can remember.

James, have you found Switzerland to be more expensive than when you were in France last month?  We're planning a euro trip in 2 or 3 seasons and I'm very interesting in beta for a family euro trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Marcski wrote
James, have you found Switzerland to be more expensive than when you were in France last month?
Absolutely not. When this trip is finished, I'll provide a summary of how much it cost. You'll be surprised by how it compares to a trip out west: sometimes in Switzerland's favor, amazingly enough. The current (1:1 more or less) exchange rate certainly helps -- that's what killed us in the past.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I agree with James..The only thing that makes a euro trip more money is the flights..But if you shop around and book early that can be mitigated too..

One other thing, soda is big time expensive in Switz, so drink beer..

"Peace and Love"