7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NY Tree Skiing This Week?

Harvey
Administrator
A few folks have emailed me...

"Looking at today's radar ... is there tree skiing in NY after this storm?  Where?"

Any wisdom to share?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NY Tree Skiing This Week?

Adk Jeff
Peeked into the woods yesterday at Gore in an upper mountain location that is favored with some man-made blow-in and a low angle.  Although there were some tracks it is definitely NOT yet skiable.  I'll add that my definition of "skiable" is pretty broad.  We just need more snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
i jumped in a few places on christmas day and it was definatly in need of some snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Along with the Clapper, a Snuggie and a Chia Obama, HoHo also brought me a Harv-O-Meter 2000!, The World's Most Accurate Way to measure snow depth. Yes Sir.

So off I went today to use it for the first time and it revealed a whooping 1.5 inch accumulation from last night's N'oreaster. This is more than doubles the prior snow cover so,.... it's a start.

The very blustery wind gusts of this morning are waning and there's large swaths of blue sky coming in over West mtn.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Greek opened their trees today.....I'll letcha know how they are tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
There were reliable reports of people in the trees at Plattekill.

The big winner of the major areas in the Cats was Hunter with 18 inches reported. From what I know, it's not really a tree skiing hill.

Thunder Ridge reported 24 inches. I don't know if there is any tree skiing at TR.  I'd doubt it based on average annual snowfall.

Tuxedo Ridge reported 26 inches.

Hickory added to their base, maybe 3-4 inches.

Anybody hit Willard or West?

It seemed Magic in SoVT was on everyone's mind in various forums. I'm told that with 18 inches down it was not enough to get the trees going with almost no base underneath.

As usual, I watched the radar pretty closely most of the night.  From what I saw, I was sure there would be more reports of 24+. Especially in VT.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
There's been no natural snow at West this year. I live less than 2 miles from West and that's a higher number than the inches of snow I received so far this year.

They've got good, thick manmade coverage down on what they have open. Last Thursday, it was a lil icy, (unlike last year), but the fan guns are running 24/7's and will not stop for 6 weeks. They had really good mm fluff last season and VERY little ice, so we'll see. Last season was the first I had any real time on the hill at West.

Fuj was heading to the Cats today. He'll have a TR.