This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Need Advice Big Sky, MT 2/27 to 3/4 2014

Benny Profane
We stayed in Moonlight Basin slope side about 6 or 7 years ago, and bought a dual ticket for both mountains. Now, that was a Loooong time ago in Big Sky/Moonlight history, because Moonlight was essentially a Lehman owned property, still in development, when they went bankrupt afterwards in the '08 crash. Since then, ownership and operations have been up in the air, but, now Big Sky has finally bought Moonlight, so, operations are still melding, although It seems that both mountains are now one.
Anyway, both great mountains with no crowds, because the mountain is so relatively hard to get to. Moonlight is pretty cool, don't neglect it. There is some tough stuff up on top. Mellower vibe over at Moonlight. But, you may be driving a lot from there to eat or drink.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
If you have a 4 wheel drive car staying near the former Moonlight side is not too bad. Powder Ridge condos offer ski in/ ski out action but you still need a car to go eat or drink. And you must be careful driving around there at night with the sherrifs. I think that the options near Big Sky's base area offer the most. You can then walk to the restaurants, bars and lifts. The shopping here sucks so get that out of your head. There are some cheaper options down the mounntain but they also require driving and parking and more walking. And Bozeman is not a good option.
I would go thru the Big Sky people and try to find a deal. The Huntly Lodge may be the cheapest on the mountain and it is right at the base. It is not fancy but it is warm and dry.
The best food is down the mountain in the meadow village area but some decent places exist at the base area. Drinking fun may depend on your age and what you think is fun. There are a couple bars that the ocals hang out at in the evenings. A couple bars full of drunken lift ops. The bar at the Huntly has real poker at night with real dealers. I always thought that looked like fun for tourists.... if they know how to play.
The skiing is good enough that where you stay will not be what you remember about your trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
We stayed in one of the Powder Ridge cabins last winter and it worked out well for our group (8 guys).  In fact we were there exactly the same timeframe that you'll be visiting this winter.  I've got a TR with scads of photos here if you're interested.  Lolkl mentioned you still have to drive from Powder Ridge, and he's right, but it's only a 2 or 3 minute drive over to the main base area.  One of the nights we drove down the mountain to Buck's T-4 (did I get the name right Lolkl?) for dinner and I would highly recommend.  It's a pretty long drive down the access road though, which I don't necessarily recommend after a few drinks.

Maybe PowderQueen will jump in with a few thoughts too.  She was there a couple weeks after me and has a TR somewhere in the forum.

Lolkl's closing line probably sums it up the best though:
lolkl wrote
The skiing is good enough that where you stay will not be what you remember about your trip.
I'll second Lolkl on that thought.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
One little travel tip for the area. There are a few game meat restaurants scattered about. This might be your first chance to eat buffalo, elk, and other meats you may not have tried yet, if you're a carnivore.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
Yeah, it's Buck's T-4. And that is one of the places Benny is speaking of. Lone Mountain Ranch also offers a lot of wild game, plus they have a sleigh ride dinner that is excellent. A good friend of mine does snow cat dinners at BS in a yurt out in the middle of the ski area. The two best restaurants are down the mountain: Olive B's and By Word of Mouth. On the mountain, Hummers is better than any of the boyne places. Sissorbills is your best apres skiing. Moonlight lodge has the best lunch on the hill and by far and away the nicest lodge.
A lot has changed here in 13 years. The tram line is visable from many of the higher peaks in the adirondaks. Lapping it is tough unless you are willing to dedicate yourself. Some friends will only ski the tram. Too bad. There is too much here for that mind set. But when you do get up there.... ask Scotty Jack. We had one of the best runs I ever had one day and it wasn't even close to powder.
" The Biggest Skiing in America " is pretty big now. 9 square miles. 33 lifts. And get this, 245 ski instructors! Not every day but that is what I was told they hired. Many days we don't have 245 people skiing on the entire system. Some days the tram line is one hour, some days we walk on. It all depends on whether you can see or not. Many days you need the vision of an alaskan bush pilot.
When you get closer get in touch. I give good tour and have Harvey Road references.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Big Sky is awesome and lolki is a great guide. If you can keep up.
I ride with Crazy Horse!