New ORDA Director apparent

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
43 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New ORDA Director apparent

evantful
"Gore added 1 new lift and 3 used lifts. The Top Ridge Triple was supposed to be a HSQ, not a used triple. All the pods and miles that were added have been in various plans since the mid 1980s. Why did it take 20 years to get this started and another 10 years and it is still not done? "

My mistake it was 3 new chairs, Burnt Ridge, Hudson and the Village Chair. All built after 2007. If there was such neglect to Gore than why are they even bothering on building out towards its 40 mile limit? And yes many of these things were ear marked much earlier, they were earmarked to ORDA, the money could have very easily slipped its way through the budget to other various projects and yet the build out has occurred. Snow making infastruture has been improved and built out.

You complain about out-houses on the mountain, yet at what location does Whiteface have plumbed bathrooms at the lifts that are public accessible? And Whiteface also only has one on mountain eatery.

Gores build out will take years, look at what has been added to the trail map in the last 5 years, its amazing what has occurred. And again I like you to point out a ski area in the Northeast that has seen that kind of terrain expansion and lift  build out in the last 5 years or even in plans for the next 5 years? Only the state of NY

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
+1
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by evantful
evantful wrote
You complain about out-houses on the mountain, yet at what location does Whiteface have plumbed bathrooms at the lifts that are public accessible? And Whiteface also only has one on mountain eatery.
Read what I wrote. It is not Wf v Gore. WF should also have more on mountain facilities. It happens that now Gore is even more spread out than before the expansion. When you are standing at the top of Gore and the females in your group need a bathroom, what do you do? Most of Gore's trail pods require a chairlift ride to get to a BR. Gore now cost the about the same as Mt Snow/Stratton/Okemo and has for years. The facilities should have been upgraded. Outhouses are unacceptable.

evantful wrote
Gores build out will take years, look at what has been added to the trail map in the last 5 years, its amazing what has occurred. And again I like you to point out a ski area in the Northeast that has seen that kind of terrain expansion and lift  build out in the last 5 years or even in plans for the next 5 years? Only the state of NY

There is no credit for delaying what could have been started 25 years ago.

How about since the mid 1980s when Gore could have started - Sugarloaf, Saddleback, Bretton Woods, Attitash, Jay Peak, Killington, Stowe, Loon, Le Massif, Cannon/Mittersill (owned by NH), Mt Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Sunday River.

Here are two that were in the same boat as Gore in the mid 1980s - Okemo and Sunday River. Both had huge potential that have more than doubled or even tripled in size and become major draws.  ORDA held the lid on Gore and by extension North Creek. Gore is one of the few "accepted" ways to help those who chose to live in the Park earn a living. We should not be talking about just the last 5 years.

ORDA still does not market Gore in the NY Metro area. Here is a ski area approaching  500 acres, 90% snowmaking with unlimited water, 2 HS lifts, a gondola, over 2500 vertical feet, vast amounts of blue terrain, monster tree skiing and a little over 3 hours of mostly highway driving from the NYC metro area and people still do not know were Gore is located. I see WF promoted in the NYC Metro area - why not Gore?

Answer: Because Gore is not in Lake Placid.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote

ORDA still does not market Gore in the NY Metro area. Here is a ski area approaching  500 acres, 90% snowmaking with unlimited water, 2 HS lifts, a gondola, over 2500 vertical feet, vast amounts of blue terrain, monster tree skiing and a little over 3 hours of mostly highway driving from the NYC metro area and people still do not know were Gore is located. I see WF promoted in the NYC Metro area - why not Gore?
Two words why
Flat spots

Then two more
Snow boarders

Gore is not capable to moving up to the top tier of Eastern resorts because of those flat spots and Orda management knows this

A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Benny,

Gore brings  in $8.2M in 2011 up from $6.4M in 2006 and the reaction is "meh", a 22% increase, the numbers aren't out for this year but there were several days where a parking spot could not be found - so explain to me exactly what "meh" means. Not bad at all for an industry that has seen little growth in the last ten years.

Dude, one of the reasons I like Gore is Saturday. Gore is one of the least crowded hills (of that quality) on Saturday.

As has been stated here a hundred times, I'll bet that at least 50% of NY metro skiers couldn't find Gore on a map with a gun to their head.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by ausable skier
Gore only does about 10% more visits than Whiteface for gods sakes. Hopeless.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
ausable skier wrote
x10003q wrote

Two words why
Flat spots

Then two more
Snow boarders

Gore is not capable to moving up to the top tier of Eastern resorts because of those flat spots and Orda management knows this
Come on, that's just silly..every ski area has flats spots and boarders..

IMO, the problem is, the mountain isn't sexy, the location is boring and kind of depressing. The main base area has a claustrophobic feel and you can't see any of the terrain from the base..
People also like to go the top and feel like they are the top of the world..ie: Whiteface , Killington etc..

Also the name is meh...It doesn't call to you or make you feel like your in the mountains.. Alta , Snowbird , Stowe and Mad River Glen..

I'm not saying Gore doesn't have great skiing..It's just a "butta face"
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
JasonWx wrote
ausable skier wrote
x10003q wrote

Two words why
Flat spots

Then two more
Snow boarders

There is not one single spot at WF where a snowboarder has to walk to get on a trail that is supposed to be downhill.

Gore has spots where skiers have to skate for hundreds and in one spot almost a quarter mile.  That is no fun at all for boarders and is a totall $h!t show for families with small children.  IMO if it was not for those flat spots Gore would be so much more marketable and in the top tier in the east. As it is its a great skiers mountain but has flaws.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Come on, that's just silly..every ski area has flats spots

Yeah, but every place else they're called "parking lots".  
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
All you have to do at Gore, is to know where those 2 flat spots are and build up some decent speed on the steeps right before them and glide right through the flats... it isn't exactly rocket science.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Big D wrote
All you have to do at Gore, is to know where those 2 flat spots are and build up some decent speed on the steeps right before them and glide right through the flats... it isn't exactly rocket science.
Tell that to the old dude that hit the rope trying to tuck onto that flat that is several city zip codes long

Dumbest trail design in ski area history
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
ausable skier wrote
Big D wrote
Tell that to the old dude that hit the rope trying to tuck onto that flat that is several city zip codes long

Dumbest trail design in ski area history
I only have skied Gore, 2 times. Both were at the end of the season with only the main areas open. So I now realize I am not familiar with all the "flat spots". Feel bad about the old gentleman who was injured and hope he is doing well, now.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
ausable skier wrote
is a totall $h!t show for families with small children.
This is just nonsense.

Gore is where my family skis with our small children like thousands of other families. Gore has more terrain for small children then WF's entire 285 acres.

Yes the flat spots suck. But that is not the reason why Gore marketing is nonexistent in the NYC Metro area.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I agree that Gore is a difficult mountain for snowboards. I have warned a few snowboarding friends about it. And, therefore, if it is difficult for snowboarders, it's going to be hard to attract a decent customer base, because, after all, most new business at ski areas in the last decade has been riders, not skiers.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
A member of a BOD is a "Director"
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
ausable skier wrote
JasonWx wrote
ausable skier wrote
x10003q wrote

Two words why
Flat spots

Then two more
Snow boarders

There is not one single spot at WF where a snowboarder has to walk to get on a trail that is supposed to be downhill.

Gore has spots where skiers have to skate for hundreds and in one spot almost a quarter mile.  That is no fun at all for boarders and is a totall $h!t show for families with small children.  IMO if it was not for those flat spots Gore would be so much more marketable and in the top tier in the east. As it is its a great skiers mountain but has flaws.
A lot more than a quarter mile. Closer to 3/4 I believe.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
adkskier wrote
ausable skier wrote
Gore has spots where skiers have to skate for hundreds and in one spot almost a quarter mile.
A lot more than a quarter mile. Closer to 3/4 I believe.
I just measured it and I come up with around .7 of a mile from the main Gore base to the Burnt Ridge HSQ.
Yuk.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If you guys skate the entire distance from the Gore base to the BRQ you need wax or some kinda strategy.

You know... if your goal is to avoid exercise at all costs I mean.

I've done that thing in 20 skate strokes. I work harder carryin my skis in from the parking lot.

Bunch a babies.

Dude like RonKon or Scotty eats a 3000 foot climb for lunch.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.