No Off Season at The Beast

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No Off Season at The Beast

Ethan Snow
        As much as I love the winter, I really do find a lot of enjoyment in what the summer has to offer as well. I've been hiking Adirondack high peaks my whole life, and skiing since I was five, so outdoor activities have become an expectation in my life. Unfortunately, many of us skiers have a hard time finding an activity that matches up to the experience we have during the winter. I think many ski resorts are also realizing that it is not a good idea to completely close down all Opperations during the off season. Instead they can use their existing facilities and infrastructure to create a year round vacation hot spot. Killington Reaort has mastered this.
At the summit. It was a bit cloudy.

I recently spent two days at Killington with my family, and some extended family. Everyone, old and young had an excellent time. My main focus was Mountain Biking. I took up the sport of mountain biking two years ago, because I saw that many ski areas were offering lift accessed biking during the summer. It looked like fun, and now I have been very serious about it.  The Killington Mountain Bike Park was built by a professional trail building crew known as Gravity Logic. Gravity Logic has also built trails at Windham Mountain, and Thunder Mountain as well as many other bike parks around the country. That being said, the trails are primo. They have everything from machine built jump trails with 15' high berms, and 50' jumps to steep, rocky technical trails. There are two sections of the mountain dedicated to mountain biking. The Snowshed lodge is a bike rental facility with a fleet of about a hundred Downhill Bikes and All Mountain Freeride bikes. I was impressed with the rental equipment. The Snowshed express lift runs all day for bikers, and also scenic viewers. The other section is the K1 area serviced by the K1 gondola.

I honestly can't say which side I liked better. They both have something different to offer. The Snowshed area had lots of man made trail features, and some crazy scary air sections, but the K1 area has a lot to offer as well. The K1 area is more organic, all mountain riding, but very steep in places, and one run down can easily take a half hour or more. But don't let that turn you away, Killington has added their share of man made trail features on the upper mountain also, and the well designed trails keep you wanting more in spite of the endless fatigue you will experience. Killington offers a wider variety of trails that appeals to a wider variety of people. Even my Mom said "I might like to try that someday" My brother and I rode for two days, Monday, and Tuesday, and we just might go back for a day this fall.
Sending it way down the hill

Killington has a lot to offer during the summer in addition to mountain biking. They have a ropes course which my Dad and Sister completed, and absolutely loved. They also have mountain coaster known as the "Beast Coaster" and the "Skye Coaster" which is basically a zip line with a cable that pulls you back up, much like a chairlift. These are great activities for either younger kids, or for anyone of any age seeking a thrill with less risk involved, and they are located right near the Snowshed lodge.  Hiking is a popular activity at Killington as well. The summit lodge is open every day, and there is even bar service on Friday-Sunday. The gondola runs for both bikers, and scenic viewers to access the lodge, but hiking up is appealing to many including my parents. I really admire the K1 summit lodge.  The food is excellent. There is nothing like being on top of a mountain inside a state of the art glass building overlooking beautiful scenery from 4200' while eating a delicious meal. Add to that I will ride my bike back down when I am done! Unfortounately, it was kind of cloudy, so you couldn't see much when we were there, but it was still cool.

I have heard it said by many a skier that Killington always has something worth skiing no matter what part of the season it is. I might add that Killington always has something worth doing no matter what time of the YEAR it is. I guess this fits their "Beast365" motto that they've got going. My recommendation: Take a family day trip to Killington. Or two.  
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No Off Season at The Beast

Chris
That's a sweet post!  8 years of mtb and I've never taken a lift.  Wife was shopping for a new ride this past weekend after we rode at Pine Hill Park.  I'm very close to buying a lift ticket for my bicycle!  This post definitely helps push me into taking the plunge
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.