No more plastic bags in NY state in supermarket

46 messages Options
ScottySkis1 ScottySkis1
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: No more plastic bags in NY state in supermarket

Thanks that could help.
When I on a bike few plastic bags on my handle bar wrapped around the plastic and tie it up
Now I figure out new ways
billyymc billyymc
Reply |

The reusable bags from Wegmans have these things called handles. Spend a few dollars and get a few...I think they're a dollar each. I use them to carry cycling gear, and all kinds of shit. They hold up well. Stop whining about the plastic bag ban.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

We leave them in the car, and still forget them almost every time. We're now committed to running back out in the parking lot to grab them.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sig sig
Reply |

i prefer paper over plastic
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

sig wrote

i prefer paper over plastic

Very good!
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

In the not too distant past, plastic bags weren't a thing. At some point, some grocer decided to offer them at no cost to their customers as a value added service. What company gives away anything for free any more but now we all expect free bags? In the past, before most of our times perhaps, that wasn't an option. So we are perhaps getting back to that.

I manage a retail store in state that does not have bag laws. We recently switched from plastic to paper to be more environmentally friendly. My primary concern was keeping the cost the same as paper is way more expensive than plastic. We launched a campaign to encourage customers to bring their own bag or specifically request a paper bag (instead of being asked if you want a bag or auto-bagging). I was quite impressed that we actually saved money due to customers voluntarily opting to bring their own or go without a bag.

There are two issues with the bag situation... one is that people reuse the plastic bags for other things like trash can liners. So it is possible that people may increase trash can bag spending if they have fewer bags to reuse. The other issue is that reusable bags take a certain number of uses to offset a larger number of plastic bags (re: environmental impact production, transport, etc.).

That said, I think a lot of this is just how we have been raised or how our expectations have been set. I'm certainly no angel in this regard. I like the idea of leveling everyone with state laws and creating new expectations and a new normal. Kids in 20 years will wonder why the hell we got plastic bags with every single purchase we made... we'll be the Luddites that we used to think our grand parents were, in that regard.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

We use all of our plastic bags again, but it's a PITA and still a waste.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

Yep. We save our plastic bags all year then use them to put our venison in after we cut. Makes for easy transportation home before the final wrap then freezer.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
We use all of our plastic bags again, but it's a PITA and still a waste.
campgottagopee wrote
Yep. We save our plastic bags all year then use them to put our venison in after we cut. Makes for easy transportation home before the final wrap then freezer.
I wonder how much this has been factored in to the decision process? A lot of people will need to buy additional plastic bags for whatever purpose they were recycling the shopping bags for. Dog owners in the city and suburbs are probably the biggest group.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
trackbiker trackbiker
Reply |

In reply to this post by riverc0il
I was in store a few months ago and the lady in front of me bought a chapstick. Yep.....the cashier put it in a plastic bag. The lady walked out of the store and immediately threw the bag in a trash can. Do you really need a bag when you buy one of almost anything?