No wine before it's time

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No wine before it's time

PeeTex
The nice thng about having your own stash is that you can uncork it whenever you want and you think it's ready.
I cut this stash a few years back, it is up at the end of a not to traveled road where the snow plow pushes a big berm. Hiking an old logging road for about 1/8 of a mile gets you to the spot. But you can't see the tracks from a car, you would have to get out and climb the berm.

At the end of the road you hit a wall of conifers, and I always track this so it looks like someone just turned around and skied back.

Pushing through the wall of trees and the world opens up.

Skinning up to the top of the ridge doesn't take too long, there is only a few hundred feet of vertical. Making sure to stay to the side so that the runs down are undisturbed.

Peeling off the skins only takes a minute, and I need to cool down anyway from the climb and breaking trail - after the first climb, the other laps go faster.

The snow was very deep and the lower layers were a little heavy so the first run was a little slow even on the 2 steeper pitches (I had to make a separate side trail with switch backs to get up these sections). But by the third run it was skiing gloriously.
There are quite a few more glasses in this bottle of wine, I think I may drink again tomorrow.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No wine before it's time

Telemark Dave

...my kind of wine.  Thanks for sharing PeeTex.  

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.