classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nordica El Capo?

JTG4eva!
Anyone ever demo them?  Drifter?

I've seen them described as.....an update of the old Enforcers, wider under foot.

A layer of metal has them stiff under foot, with a soft tip and tail.    All reviews say they perform well on groomers, and are great in powder/crud as long as you don't like to aggressively drive the tips.  Sounds like me, I'm Mr. Neutral Stance!  Some say they are a burly ski, hopefully not too burly for me at 6'4" 185 pounds.  I'd ski them at 185cm.

This wouldn't be my everyday ski.  I'm finally getting around to setting up a wider ski underfoot (they are 107) with some AT bindings, for a change of pace ski and one that I can use on powder/chop days, a trip to Tuckerman's, and the very infrequent skin for vertical in the BC.

REI has the 13/14 version on sale for $196 shipped.  At that price I think they are worth taking a chance on.

My current everyday ski is 90 under foot.  If I'm looking to go wider is 107 enough?  I also like the K2 Shreditor 112 ($379 is the cheapest I can find, 2015 model), or I could go even wider with the K2 Annex 118 ($299 on ebay, 2014 model).

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nordica El Capo?

Highpeaksdrifter
JTG4eva! wrote
Anyone ever demo them?  Drifter?

I've seen them described as.....an update of the old Enforcers, wider under foot.

A layer of metal has them stiff under foot, with a soft tip and tail.    All reviews say they perform well on groomers, and are great in powder/crud as long as you don't like to aggressively drive the tips.  Sounds like me, I'm Mr. Neutral Stance!  Some say they are a burly ski, hopefully not too burly for me at 6'4" 185 pounds.  I'd ski them at 185cm.

This wouldn't be my everyday ski.  I'm finally getting around to setting up a wider ski underfoot (they are 107) with some AT bindings, for a change of pace ski and one that I can use on powder/chop days, a trip to Tuckerman's, and the very infrequent skin for vertical in the BC.

REI has the 13/14 version on sale for $196 shipped.  At that price I think they are worth taking a chance on.

My current everyday ski is 90 under foot.  If I'm looking to go wider is 107 enough?  I also like the K2 Shreditor 112 ($379 is the cheapest I can find, 2015 model), or I could go even wider with the K2 Annex 118 ($299 on ebay, 2014 model).

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback.
I'm just seeing this...sorry for the late reply. I have skied them and liked them. I have 2 friends who ski them at WF all the time and love them on groomers and all over the mountain. That said, I don't, IMO they are a big mt. western ski. Like I said I like them, its just that there are better choices for those who do the majority of their skiing at ski areas in the east. They would work well for what you describe above. They are discontinued for next season and are being replaced with the NRGy 107.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Thanks HPD.  I'll let you know what I think of them after Saturday.  Not only did I get a great price on the skis, found a good deal on a pair of Barons.  It's a nice looking setup, can't wait to put them on Tuckerman's corn!  I'll even throw the skins in my pack on the chance I can put the rig to proper use in the snowfields.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
JTG4eva! wrote
Thanks HPD.  I'll let you know what I think of them after Saturday.  Not only did I get a great price on the skis, found a good deal on a pair of Barons.  It's a nice looking setup, can't wait to put them on Tuckerman's corn!  I'll even throw the skins in my pack on the chance I can put the rig to proper use in the snowfields.
Dude, that is awesome....have a great time. I can't wait to here what you think of them.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Limited use....but I loved the skis.   Was a little leery of using unfamiliar skis in that environment, but the worked out great.  First run was Chute, which was skiable from about 3/4 of the way up, unless you wanted to climb around and above a nasty looking crevasse.  The skis were easy to get around in the steep section above the choke, and carved well low in the bowl.  Second run was Left Gully, where I got to test them on the 50 degree slope up high, then navigate big bumps in the middle section, then carve creamy corn down lower.  They handled it all well.  Can't wait for next year.