classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
frk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Northeast Kingdom

frk
I just finished a weekend biking in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. It's been rated as the top biking destination in the east and was recently profiled in the New York Times sunday travel section. On saturday i rented a Trek downhill bike and rode at Burke Mt. I've never tried DH biking before and was a bit nervous after watching too many scary videos, but, I had the time of my life. Only the lower mountain was lift served. You had to hike to the top to try the remaining trails. I couldn't believe what i was able to do after just a few runs. The trail design was spectacular. I'm looking forward to checking out Platty. Any ideas how I can convince my spouse that I need to drop a few thousand on a DH bike? BTW, Burke Mt showed just how crappy Gore's bike trail is.  On sunday, we biked the Darling Hill section. All I can say is Nirvana. I pedaled until the quads were petrified. There were bikers everywhere and there was a dedicated mountain bike shop. Lots of canadians. Too bad it is a long drive but it's worth it. Can't wait to go back. Oh, there are 2 brew pubs nearby.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Northeast Kingdom

demersal
I will have to get up there. On Gore, you are right unfortunately. They have made half an effort to open up downhill, but it will take a dedicated team of trail designers and builders to make it worth the trip/ expense. I am a part time local (North River) and a pretty committed bike nut, but I would not build a downhiller if Gore was the only place to do lift served riding. I like the trails- both of them- but they need attention to flow, and serious erosion control. The mountain has all the expensive fixed cost items in place, now they need to complete the mission. People don't come back there because there isn't a full day of riding in place yet, and the lack of riders makes some management think the demand isn't there. Look at what downtown North Creek has done- it's worth the trip and worth a return trip! They invested and worked their butts off, and it is working!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Northeast Kingdom

ScottyJack
much shorter ride to Lake Placid/Wilmington and the bikking is awesome!  

Granted your Whiteface DH experience will be differnt from Burke.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!