classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nubs Nob. Harbor Springs, Mi 2/21/19

Mi Skier
This post was updated on .
Toady was day 1 of my and my daughter’s mini tour of the Mitten (Michigan’s Lower  Peninsula). We left Wednesday night and the normal 3hr and 10min drive took about 5hrs. We left the Ann Arbor area it was 38 out and drizzle. We got about 2hrs into the trip and I felt the car wiggle a little and realized I was now on ice. The ice didn’t last long and it became snow. We finally rolled into our hotel at 12:45 am and wanted to be up at 7 so we could shower and eat so we could be to Nubs by 8:30 (which is 20mins away). We came close and we were booted up and ready to go by 9:15. They had gotten 4-6” of snow yesterday through out the day and most of the snow had been groomed. The good thing was it was snowing again and they got maybe an inch thoughout the day

The snow was some of the best packed powder  I have ever skied. The wind was pretty strong on the front facing hill which made going down some of the intermediate runs a little slow. The advanced runs were ok.

Nubs has a great snowmaking system and it shows. This sign is 5-6 feet tall. Most of the place was a good 3-4 feet.

They also have what I think is a very rare lift with a floating bull wheel

We headed over to the South side where the wind was much less of an issue. This is the most northeast feeling part of the ski area. The trails are tree lined and a decent lenght for a 427’ hill.

We then headed over to the Pintail Peak which is also very Northeast like only the runs are shorter

We went in for lunch and some homemade chili which was delicious

We went back or made more laps on the front face due to the wind dying down. The snow was so soft you could get a great edge in. I didn’t see one square inch of ice today.

Tomorrow is Boyne Highlands which is right across the street

What a great day to start our mini tour of 4 ski areas in 4 days. Megan and I have been skiing for 19 years now and I wouldn’t have it any other way

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nubs Nob. Harbor Springs, Mi 2/21/19

D.B. Cooper
Great pictures, Mi!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Very cool. Did you make that chili yourself? Looks good
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Brownski wrote
No. They make it there. The soup and chili are all homemade
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Mi Skier wrote
Brownski wrote
Have you verified that? Turns out there’s some very convincing bag chili on the market nowadays. Seriously though I think it’s great that you and your daughter keep on skiing together. I’m hoping my boys stick with it as well.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Brownski wrote
Mi Skier wrote
Brownski wrote
Have you verified that? Turns out there’s some very convincing bag chili on the market nowadays. Seriously though I think it’s great that you and your daughter keep on skiing together. I’m hoping my boys stick with it as well.
Yes. They have a kitchen that you can see right into and watch them cook.
I love that my daughter loves skiing with me
Reply | Threaded
|

Ciscokid
Great report as usual Ted. Nubs knob have my vote for the best hill in any state under 500 foot vertical very diverse lots of Glades and just a pure skating enjoyment keep it up Ted enjoy