On-Mountain Billboards

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

On-Mountain Billboards

Jamesdeluxe
I ran across this April 18 trip report from Ylläs in Finland's Lapland region (a 12-hour drive north of Helsinki, 150 miles north of the Arctic Circle) and was shocked to see freestanding billboards on the actual ski terrain. They're not only for people on their way up on surface lifts, which has a certain logic if you set aside the aesthetic issues:

... they're also positioned for viewing on the way down!

Is this the future of revenue generation at ski areas or a goofy outlier? Consider all the things we originally laughed at (bottled water, water parks at the bottom of ski areas) but now accept as normal.

While the vertical drop is only 1,700 feet, it looks like a fun intermediate area with a nice variety of terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: On-Mountain Billboards

Harvey
Administrator
I guess it "makes sense." Especially with surface lifts in use.

We do get used to a lot.  I remember a discussion about wind turbines at Gore and thinking... none of use really care about looking at lifts.  What did people think when the first lift were installed?

Maybe a more appropriate question... how to you feel about billboards vs higher ticket prices?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
When I was a kid Vernon valley used to have miniature billboards on their lift towers advertising cigarettes and alcohol. It looks trashy imo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
raisingarizona wrote
When I was a kid Vernon valley used to have miniature billboards on their lift towers advertising cigarettes and alcohol. It looks trashy imo.
IMO, that's tolerable. Freestanding billboards are another kettle of fish.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
The second shot of billboards facing the slope look like they are leftover from an FIS race. There have been FIS points and national races at Yllas.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I don't like how I can't pump gas anymore without a TV blasting ads and useless "news" into my face.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I don't like how I can't pump gas anymore without a TV blasting ads and useless "news" into my face.
I agree...it's the worst
"Peace and Love"