One Wasatch: Yea or Nay?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: One Wasatch: Yea or Nay?

Benny Profane
Cheapest and safest (from getting trapped by inter lodge) is staying in a hotel in strip mall hell in Sandy or Draper and driving up to your choice. No charm, but cheap, and food is also a bargain. Awesome Mexican down there for not much.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
If and when the interconnects get put into place, Vail is going to buy out Alta, Snowbird, And Brighton/Solitude. Calling it now.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Cheapest and safest (from getting trapped by inter lodge)
You say this like it's a bad thing. Stuck at the mtn with a select few and a bunch of new snow......I don't know
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by tBatt
I see what's in it for Vail.  Access to the Cottonwoods expands the terrain for PC big bed base.

I can see what's in it for the BCC resorts.  I was at Solitude on a Sunday at the back end of Presidents week and it was not busy at all.  They stand to get access to the PC masses just one ridge line away.

I don't at all see what what Alta or Snowbird have to gain.  If I was a LCC passholder I would probably fight like heck to stop it.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Coach Z wrote
I see what's in it for Vail.  Access to the Cottonwoods expands the terrain for PC big bed base.

I can see what's in it for the BCC resorts.  I was at Solitude on a Sunday at the back end of Presidents week and it was not busy at all.  They stand to get access to the PC masses just one ridge line away.

I don't at all see what what Alta or Snowbird have to gain.  If I was a LCC passholder I would probably fight like heck to stop it.
Well, yeah, but who has ever made money off of passholders?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Cheapest and safest (from getting trapped by inter lodge)
You say this like it's a bad thing. Stuck at the mtn with a select few and a bunch of new snow......I don't know
I've talked to a few people that have been inter lodged at Alta. It's sorta skier hell. One guy was trapped for 48 hours. You can't even walk outside. Imagine being surrounded by a few feet of Alta powder, and having to watch TV on your vacation. If you're down in the flatter lands, you have the ability to drive elsewhere. Yeah, it's nice when they call it off and you and whomever is there has the place to yourselves while they clear the road, but, that's kinda rare.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
If and when the interconnects get put into place, Vail is going to buy out Alta, Snowbird, And Brighton/Solitude. Calling it now.

I'll call and up your bet by predicting that in 2035, Vail will be the great ski area monopoly sanctioned by the president and congress that the company bought, and they will own almost every ski area in the country. They will run the Federal Ski Lift Agency, with a seat on the cabinet. Only Alta will be left out of their control, and frequent skirmishes will take place in the LCC involving avalanche mortars and other surplus military equipment as the final holdouts battle the government.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Benny Profane wrote
tBatt wrote

I'll call and up your bet by predicting that in 2035, Vail will be the great ski area monopoly sanctioned by the president and congress that the company bought, and they will own almost every ski area in the country. They will run the Federal Ski Lift Agency, with a seat on the cabinet. Only Alta will be left out of their control, and frequent skirmishes will take place in the LCC involving avalanche mortars and other surplus military equipment as the final holdouts battle the government.
Woah, I've never thought of it like that.
I better start stocking up on my mortars.
Or buy a snowmobile.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Benny Profane wrote
 If you're down in the flatter lands, you have the ability to drive elsewhere.
and go shopping

sucking it up could be  the ski day of a lifetime
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
skimore wrote
Benny Profane wrote
 If you're down in the flatter lands, you have the ability to drive elsewhere.
and go shopping

sucking it up could be  the ski day of a lifetime

You know, a certain kind of heaven would be inter lodged in a house with an inside hot tub and a few strippers who you invited up from the valley the night before.
Probably make such a ruckus the whole mountain would slide outside.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I agree with Benny it would be hell being stuck inside surrounded by that powder

If it snowed that much BCC would still be a good powder day.  Worst case you could hit Canyons or Snowbasin
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Coach Z wrote
I agree with Benny it would be hell being stuck inside surrounded by that powder

If it snowed that much BCC would still be a good powder day.  Worst case you could hit Canyons or Snowbasin
Yes, but as he said, the 3 hours or so of skiing all of that fresh, untouched Alta Pow, with just a couple of hundred people is pretty much worth it.  I speak from experience.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In the two season I've lived there, there has only been a handful of days that I remember where the lifts were open before the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
  Worst case you could hit Canyons or Snowbasin
That's what I like about Park City, other than the fact that it's a ski town with places to drink and eat. Snowbasin is close enough to get some.
funny like a clown