Opinion on these snowboard bindings

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opinion on these snowboard bindings

sepandee
I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to gear and I need to buy bindings for my old burton board (12 years old but in good shape). Right now it has one of those step-in bindings which I've hated for a long time now and i want to change that, so the opinion of you good folks is really appreciated. I'm going to Whiteface in 3 days so I have to buy my bindings from a local store immediately.

These are my options. I'd like to spend as little as possible on bindings (nothing over $220, but preferably around $150). So if you see anything that is decent please let me know:

http://www.sportinglife.ca/sportinglife/category/SNOWBOARD_BINDING_TYPE/Snowboard-Bindings?howMany=48&sorting=%2bdisplayPrice&page=1 

http://www.sportchek.ca/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3758836&cp=3733354.10968095.3767838.3767853

http://www.boardsports.ca/Categories/2-Snow-Snowboards-Bindings.aspx/1/80000000%5e3%2c%2380000000%5e5 

I'm an intermediate snowboarder, male, shoe size 9. If there's nothing good in there then I'll just do rental and buy my bindings later from an online retailer.

Thanks for helping me out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opinion on these snowboard bindings

Sick Bird Rider
Sporting Life is a very reputable store with good staff. Sport Chek has more of the the big box mentality. Go and talk to a sales person in the snowboard department at SL - maybe they have a deal on a clearout binding. You can't go wrong with Burton or Ride products. Don't forget that it is the week before Christmas so you may not get the best price. Having said that, retailers are pretty hungry right now.

Funny, I love my Burton step-ins but then I came into snowboarding from skiing and am a hacker at it. I tried to sell them to a long time boarder and he hated them, felt they were too loose. I kind of like the surfy feel.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Do they even make step ins anymore?

Used to snowboard a lot, but, when I was in a store recently, I realized that equipment has evolved beyond what I remember. Boots sure have changed.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Benny Profane wrote
Don't think so. Burton hasn't for years and they and K2 were the big players in the SI maket. Trouble was, the step-in was ideal for old guys like me who decided to give snowboarding a whirl but we were not a big enough demographic. Never caught on with the young 'uns. I don't understand, the SI bindings eliminated the need to sit on your butt in snow, or even bend over to do up your binding. Get of the lift, click in and go. What could be better?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

sepandee
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Don't think so. Burton hasn't for years and they and K2 were the big players in the SI maket. Trouble was, the step-in was ideal for old guys like me who decided to give snowboarding a whirl but we were not a big enough demographic. Never caught on with the young 'uns. I don't understand, the SI bindings eliminated the need to sit on your butt in snow, or even bend over to do up your binding. Get of the lift, click in and go. What could be better?
It always felt.... loose, like i don't have 100% control of the board. Never liked it, even though when I bought it I thought it was amazing. Damn lazy 16-year old.

Anyways, I'm not getting much help from the Internets, so I might just go with rentals this time. $190 for 4 days, full equipment. If I'm lucky I'll go snowboarding in February as well, at which point I'll have to think what to do. If I don't, then I might just purchase new gear, including board and all, at the end of the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
When shopping for gear I usually end up using the-house.com

Spend $100-130 on a decent pair of bindings.  They will last you a life time, especially if you're only going out a few times a year.  Ride makes good bindings, I just dont like how they've become so bright and annoying since their "slimewall" break out.  I have a pair of Drake's that have 200 days on them and have another 200 left in them.

These are my first pair of Drakes, and I will buy them again.

Either way, spend a few dollars more than you would like, read a few reviews and ya can't go wrong.

Burton makes a good product, I just don't buy their stuff because I'm too cool for Burton.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.