Re: PNW Conditions

Starting to look good out here for Thanksgiving:

Larry Schick wrote
NW Open Snow Headlines

Rain on snow

Then lower snow levels – snow accumulates

Active snow pattern mid month

NW Open Snow Inside Story

A weather system Friday and Saturday will bring snow levels rising to 6500 ft, so expect rain on snow. Yuck! This will melt a little of the new snow, but not much. Mainly consolidating the pack. We currently have few inches to 1.5 feet – so it’s a beginning. As the system moves in late Saturday and Sunday, the snow level will fall to 3000 ft . Expect 6-12” of new snow (maybe more) by Sunday/Monday. All passes will get snow. SL could dip to 2500 ft. Wow - that is like real winter snow levels! Something we rarely saw last year.

I will not submit to El Nino! A call to all skiers – “resist El Nino”

We need 2-5 feet to open. By Monday, we’ll have a few inches to maybe 2 plus feet in some upper elevations. So more is needed. But more action is seen for the rest of the month. I’ll target more snow about the 12th, 15th and 20th of November. That could do the trick.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

In the Paradise shot - what is that cone in the distance?
Man you live in a beautiful spot.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

my guess it's Mt Adams..

It is breath taking out there...My fav US mountains..
"Peace and Love"
nepa nepa
Reply |

In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
In the Paradise shot - what is that cone in the distance?
Man you live in a beautiful spot.
Yup... Jason is correct.  Mt Adams
nepa nepa
Reply |

Even better this week... with more on the way.

nepa nepa
Reply |

It's been an active weather pattern in the PNW over the past several days.  Unfortunately a bit on the warm side, with mostly rain down low...Plenty of snow high up on Rainier

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Holy crap. Where is the snow line?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
nepa nepa
Reply |

Harvey wrote
Holy crap. Where is the snow line?
This forecast was for 10k.  It's getting colder with snow levels coming down to 3k by tomorrow.  All of the ski areas are supposed to have some snow by the end of the week.  Right now, with all of the rain over the past few days, it's hard to say weather we will have lift service out here for Thanksgiving.
nepa nepa
Reply |

Some insane amounts of rain down low on the East side today.  That said, there have been some staggering snow totals above 5k across the Cascades over the past couple of days.

Opening day at Mt Baker on Thursday.  Crystal has also set a tentative opening for Thursday.  

The short warm spell is just about done.  Snow levels are supposed to quickly descend down to 1k by this evening.  It looks cold for the foreseeable... Stevens, Mission, and White should be able to spin chairs for Thanksgiving.
123456 ... 26