Plattekill Conditions (2015 - 2016)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
87 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Brownski
They're definitely the champs of Doing-the-Most-With-the-Least. God bless those guys. Frozen hoses are no joke. Somebody's gonna have to drag those suckers back down the hill to thaw out.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I'm not honestly sure how Plattekill got so much hose. They've got two or more hoses dangling off every single gun on the mountain, and now another hundred or so pieces running under sundown and down Buckle Up. There's still a big pile of hoze down by the shop. I don't think losing some hose under Sundown or having a few freeze up for the winter is really going to be a loss for them. They can collect them in the spring. They mush have bought out an old ski area or something. Probably a bunch of old ski areas. Even with my two little snow guns, I've learned you can never have too much hoze. I rely on it to get around the hill.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Ethan.....it was awesome.  I was on a snowmobile/bike trail heading toward Block from the very top of Sundown and I heard the distinct sound of a high efficiency snow gun to my right...the only trail being Buckle Up. I thought to myself when did they put pipes there??  It was only after I spoke to Laz did I realize why that tremendous whale was in the middle of Sundown.....200 + feet of hose!!   Hawwwwt!!

It was great today.  Felt like Montana with the Cold Smoke powder that the guns were blowing all day. It was skiing in a fog with soft dry powder under foot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Marcski you skiing again today?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote

Marcski you skiing again today?
Yes, I will be skiing again today.  Will you be at Plartty today is the real queation, Harvey. :).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The good Lord willing I will
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
We've got a couple more for the "core list" then.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Sorry I can't join you guys today. I've got schoolwork to,do today, and it looks like I'll be able to do a few runs at Woodstream with the snow overnight and snowmaking the last few days. I skied the last two days at Platty.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
So so psyched to ski Block 1st thing tomorrow morning. They turned the guns on right at the end of the day.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Plattekill
As patrol was making their last sweep the snow guns were fired up once again on Blockbuster this time to ensure a deep base through the spring. At 0 degrees at 4pm you know what this means, skiing on the "velvet underground" tomorrow. Don't miss it. With temps forecast in the 20's it will be the best ski day of the long weekend. And if you can't make it tomorrow, Plattekill will be open all week for the Presidents holiday.

See you tomorrow Marc!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Dammit you're making me jealous!  I have college tomorrow. Otherwise I'd be there. Looks like Thursday Wil be my next opportunity.
Reply | Threaded
|

Plattekill
In reply to this post by Harvey
It took 3000' of Hose hooked to air and water and a snowbridge the groomers built over the hose for one day to build what essentially is a 12" thick 20' wide road to Block. I enjoyed that road just as much as you did today. Walking there stinks. This is only the third time in 23 years we haven't had enough natural to ski there from either lift. Please enjoy the fruits the rest of the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Plattekill wrote
It took 3000' of Hose hooked to air and water and a snowbridge the groomers built over the hose for one day to build what essentially is a 12" thick 20' wide road to Block. I enjoyed that road just as much as you did today. Walking there stinks. This is only the third time in 23 years we haven't had enough natural to ski there from either lift. Please enjoy the fruits the rest of the season.

Some of the reasons Plattekill rocks!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Plattekill
Laz  has balls of steel..
Blowing snow knowing full well what the weather on tues will be.... a  salute
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
It won't be too bad. It's a short period of warm, and the snow up there always sticks fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ridgerun
Spring conditions today! Quality over quantity.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Probulary going tomorrow (Saturday )what's the prognosis ?
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof

I usually don't ski under guns. Today I will spend most of the day there.
It's real nice snow under there
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
It was so impressive today. I had to run back to the house to walk the dog this afternoon and my car was reading 33 when I pulled back into the Platty lot at just after 2.  Here is what it looked like:

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Marcski...tomorrow?  I'll be dragging my sorry ass in in the am.  Anything bumped?