Legs are toast too
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
WOW what an opening day!  Everything and i mean almost everything in play.  The was no bottoming out on piste and little in the trees. So great to see anyone, Jason sorry we didn't ski!

I'll see what I got for pics.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey wrote
WOW what an opening day!  Everything and i mean almost everything in play.
Ay caramba ! Si ! Si senor ! Tu habla Sno Loco !!!!   Muy Bueno !!!!  

Feliz Navidad Senor Harv !!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Mogul junkie
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It snowed today. Ran the triple for a sparse Christmas Eve Day crowd. It was fun:

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Platty had some nice snow. I'm going to have to get down there one day but it's several hours away and I'm driving past some other great places.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PeeTex I think you would really like Plattekill. Seems right up your alley.

Merry Christmas!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Nice pic MC.  Did you guys ski double terrain?

Looked on the cam like cover was still solid.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
PeeTex I think you would really like Plattekill. Seems right up your alley.

Merry Christmas!
Thanks Harv, merry Christmas to you too! When you buying drinks there?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Platty had some nice snow. I'm going to have to get down there one day but it's several hours away and I'm driving past some other great places.
If it's hitting it's worth it PeeTex.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I went to Hunter today for some Christmas turns since Platty is closed for the holiday.  Why, you might ask am I posting this in the Platty thread. Well, apparently, it rained at Hunter yesterday morning for a few hours while it was snowing at Platty.  You gotta love the Platty cloud effect.

Given the above, Hunter was quite firm today. Although, if you followed the sun you were able to find some soft snow. Christmas day crowds were light (for Hunter).

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I was at Hunta too.. Once things softened it was fun...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hunter's base is 350 feet lower, but it is significantly farther east.  Did it seem like it rained to the summit at H?  Laz said Rain/Snow line in Rox was at 1900.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
it rained to the summit...but it appeared to light...

can't wait to return to Platte...I didn't enjoy looking over my shoulder , worrying if I was gonna get hit..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
2nd hand news but I heard it rained to the summit yesterday before it started to clear in the afternoon. Kind of felt like it too.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Anybody got an update? I'm going tomorrow either way but it's nice to know what to expect.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
My (very) unofficial snowfall totals:
Snowed about 5" yesterday during the day; another 3" overnight; maybe about 3" during the day today and maybe another 1-2" this evening.  More expected tonight into tomorrow.

The snow was light and very fluffy.  Northface has huge whales. Technically, I believe it was the only "open" trail on the double side today but for some reason, I still can't figure out how , by the end of the day, every single trail was tracked out.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Brownski
I'll be there too.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
No lines so far. I'm in black pants, yellow anorak, gray helmet if you want to say hi
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I returned to Plattekill today for the first time this year. I had a hard time getting myself out the door, but my brother was pushing to go. He even went out to warm up my car. Reluctantly, I drove the two of us to Plattekill. My ski season started at Hunter Mountain on opening day, White Friday as a Peak Passholder. After a rather bleak season at Plattekill last year, I wanted to assure myself that I would have plenty of snow and variety to ski this season. Although I do not regret this decision, something very important was missing. I can not pinpoint what that was exactly. Maybe it's the special people who seem to be attracted to the place? Maybe it's because most of the natural snow has missed Hunter Mountain this year? Maybe it's because I have skied there religiously for the past 7 years? Or, maybe it's because the snow gods were speaking. IDK.

I had the opportunity to ski a few runs with Marcski, and MattChuck at the beginning of my day. They took me for a run through the woods off of Ridge Run. I quickly realized that my legs which were used to skiing groomers, were not completely up to the task of knee deep tree skiing. It came back quickly however. It didn't take long before I realized how much fun I was having, and now I'm thanking Joe for pushing me out the door. Again, I can not exactly pinpoint exactly what was so special about it, but one thing I know is the snow quality was very solid.  Unlike anything I have found at Hunter yet. It helped that the whole mountain was in play. It was great to experience the magic of Plattekill again. Or as Laz would say, "Not magic, just Plattekill." I will be back.

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
12345 ... 17