324 messages Options
1 ... 1314151617
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Ethan Snow
raisingarizona wrote
It doesn't matter that much in soft natural snow. Skiing on rocks is all part of skiing.

You're right but the natural snow is all banged out now. Just classic east coast groomers at this point.

raisingarizona wrote
 If that ski would have you falling over Ethan you need to practice more.
I could ski on it, it just wouldn't be fun. I have multiple pairs of skis. One that looks like yours for the woods,
raisingarizona wrote
These are the skis I've been on all season. My edges are all in tact tho.

And a pair that I keep in close to perfect condition.

BTW, great photos RidgeRun, and Marcski.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
For the record, all of those photos were taken by RidgeRun...I was merely expressing my opinion as to the best one!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ya, I feel those missing sections of base along the edges on icy hard pack. It doesn't feel good at all, I'm basically fighting the skis to get back to the lift. Luckily it's been a soft snow season here. I definitely need new skis for next season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
i have always bought used skis on ebay. those were only $125 (volkl bridge)and i got 2 years out of them. enjoyed them thoroughly. i want to go where i want when i want without worrying about whats underneath.
I would love to hear more about this, maybe even a separate thread in gear X or  the wood stove. I've bought kayaks and a cap for my truck off of Craigslist but never any ski gear. What's your process/strategy for judging which ones to go after? You ever use Craigslist or just eBay and why? I spent a lot of time thinking about doing this last year before I went the pre-season-last-years-model-sale route.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Brownski wrote
I would love to hear more about this, maybe even a separate thread in gear X or  the wood stove.
I'm the same way.  I will never buy new skis again....ever (unless it's at closeout).

The below are what I ski on now, the cost with bindings, and age at time of purchase.

Line Prophet 90s --  $225  (2 years old)   daily drivers
Rossignol S7s -- $260 (1 year old)       snow days

The woman only has 1 pair of skis (groomers) and needs something with more float, so last week I bought her

Blizzard Samba w/Marker Squire bindings -- $281 (3 years old) look barely used, and they arrive tomorrow
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
BenedictGomez wrote
I'm the same way.  I will never buy new skis again....ever (unless it's at closeout).
I don't know about that. I would never pay full price for a pair of skis, but for someone who skis a lot, buying a new pair of skis has its benefits. I typically look for closeouts at Hunter either at the very end of the season or what's leftover from the previous season in the fall. I've always had my best luck there since I started alpine. I can usually get pair of slabs for 2-300 bucks and reuse my bindings. Bindings last a lot longer than skis.

When you buy old skis, you have no idea how much base is still left on them. A thin base is when core shots happen easily. They way I burn thru a base, I need new slabs every three seasons. I might only get one or two out of of a used pair.

Reusing bindings can save money, and buying closeouts rather than the latest and greatest thing can give you a great value for not too much money.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
sig wrote
i have always bought used skis on ebay. those were only $125 (volkl bridge)and i got 2 years out of them. enjoyed them thoroughly. i want to go where i want when i want without worrying about whats underneath.
I would love to hear more about this, maybe even a separate thread in gear X or  the wood stove. I've bought kayaks and a cap for my truck off of Craigslist but never any ski gear. What's your process/strategy for judging which ones to go after? You ever use Craigslist or just eBay and why? I spent a lot of time thinking about doing this last year before I went the pre-season-last-years-model-sale route.
ebay lets you shop the entire country as opposed to craigslist which is local. ebay has way more stuff to choose from. this is a great time of year because ski shops are dumping rentals and demos. i bought a gore ticket on craigslist this morning for $35, it is fine for that. on ebay as long as the seller has a good rating i will buy there stuff. read the description carefully. people who sell a lot of gear , like ski shops, are extremely forthcoming with the condition of the equipment. also email them with questions. i also buy my golf gear on ebay. when i bought my 3 wood a few years ago the seller told me he sells 1500 pieces of golf equipment a year on ebay. he wants to maintain a good rating to continue.  check out some  skies on ebay  and follow the entire sale. it will give you an idea of what you like is selling for
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
You guys might want to try www.searchtempest.com. You can search multiple Craigslist areas and Ebay.
I don't rip, I bomb.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig

yesterday someone at gore told me to super glue the edge and push it back again.
i used a vise and cranked it to much. not sure it will hold but worth a try. the separation
is on the side not the bottom. could not get that to hold
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Dude, that's a bad one.  IMHO, you're time is better spent on Ebay trying to find a lightly used pair.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Platty has announced on social media that this weekend, April 8th and 9th, is good to go. Somebody post some pics for me. I'm gonna be stuck in central Jersey.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Thinking about going tomorrow. If anyone's there today, any info about coverage and bumps would be greatly appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Somebody post some pics for me.
You didn't miss much. Some good snow on Northface and Blockbuster for sure, but no way to get to Blockbuster. Funny they installed snowmaking on Buckle Up for the soul purpose of getting to arguably the most coveted slope on the hill. Meanwhile Blockbuster itself has tons and tons of snow. Plunge was toast, Face wasn't bad, but a little dicey. Hay that's what you get in April. Anyway, I think Plattekill had a good season overall, and I'm happy they did lightyears better than last year.  

I pretty much closed the mountain today. Other than Ski Patrol that is. Looks like next year, Belleayre will be my home Mountain. I tried to ski Hunter quite a bit this season with my Peak Pass so I could get some days in during the week, but I am finding that I am just not in love with Hunter. I also found myself wanting to go to my favorite mountains in NY (WF and Gore) quite a bit, and this gets expensive, especially considering I already had two season passes. A ski 3 pass will be the best use of my money, and my dad plans on doing the same. Still hope to get to Plattekill at least a little bit next season. Knowing me, I'll be there a fair amount especially on good powder days.

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Wow - really good cover for April.

I'm putting my son in Belle's seasonal program next year.  Also picked up my first Ski3, which I skied 5 times this season : ) Hope to see you at Belle.
Reply | Threaded
|

wedeler
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
wedeler wrote
"You didn't miss much".  If that was your take, then you missed everything.  It was all about why we love the place.
Looks like a great spring day to me. I'm sorry I missed out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Thanks for the pics Ethan!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by wedeler
wedeler wrote
"You didn't miss much".  If that was your take, then you missed everything.  It was all about why we love the place.

I didn't miss anything. I was there all day Sunday, so I know exactly what I was skiing on. It was typical spring WROD. I would have gone to Hunter or Belleayre, where there was more snow but I would have had to go by myself. My dad and other people I knew were going to Plattekill, so I went more for the social aspect. And to support Plattekill.
Brownski wrote
Thanks for the pics Ethan!
No problem!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Plattekill Mountain To Make Changes to Mountain Biking Schedule & Summer Operations

April 27, 2017

Roxbury, NY: Plattekill Mountain in Roxbury, New York, has announced changes to its summer operations for the 2017 season.

For more than 24 years, Plattekill has welcomed mountain bikers every weekend May through November for its lift-accessed summer mountain biking operation.  One of the first mountain bike centers to open in 1995 in the Northeast, Plattekill became an icon in the industry.  However, in the past few years, there has been a surge of mountain bike parks opening at ski resorts in the Northeast, Mountain bike "centers" have evolved into "parks" offering more manicured, flowy, machine built terrain: something that is extremely expensive for a small operation like Plattekill to compete with.

With this increased competition, the market is now being spread out among many other facilities.  Plattekill has had to restructure its biking operations to offer biking on a more limited basis this year.  "The Northeast bike park landscape has become increasingly more crowded, which has significantly affected our ridership," explains long-time owner, Laszlo Vajtay. "Simply put, we can’t afford to turn the lifts and staff the park on the same schedule we have in the past."

Plattekill will continue offering mountain biking for 2017, but on a smaller scale than in previous years. Biking will be open to the public the first weekend of each month in July, August, September, and October in conjunction with it's "Music on the Mountain" free concert series to create more of a "festival-like" setting. In addition the mountain will be open in conjunction with the "Eastern States Cup" series downhill race the weekend of July 8-9.  Lift hours on all operating weekends this year will be extended and will be open 9am - 5pm.  Guests will continue to have the opportunity to rent biking equipment.

Plattekill will also be adding additional operating days by offering private mountain rentals for corporate groups, private parties and summer youth camps which may or may not include a biking component based on the individual group's needs.  These private rentals will afford groups the unique option of having the luxury of personalized service and privacy catered to individual interests including meeting space, team building, mountain biking, racing or a combination thereof.

More information on mountain rentals can be obtained by contacting Plattekill's Marketing and Group Sales Manager, Christy Jaromack, at christy@plattekill.com or (607)326-3500, ext. 116.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
Brownski wrote
sig wrote
ebay lets you shop the entire country as opposed to craigslist which is local. ebay has way more stuff to choose from. this is a great time of year because ski shops are dumping rentals and demos. i bought a gore ticket on craigslist this morning for $35, it is fine for that. on ebay as long as the seller has a good rating i will buy there stuff. read the description carefully. people who sell a lot of gear , like ski shops, are extremely forthcoming with the condition of the equipment. also email them with questions. i also buy my golf gear on ebay. when i bought my 3 wood a few years ago the seller told me he sells 1500 pieces of golf equipment a year on ebay. he wants to maintain a good rating to continue.  check out some  skies on ebay  and follow the entire sale. it will give you an idea of what you like is selling for
just wanted to revive this conversation about buying older used equipment. i just landed a pair of 2009 volkl bridges on ebay for $150 shipped. i think this is a good deal on a ski i can take anywhere at anytime with no regard for the conditions. i broke an older pair of the bridges this winter. i really enjoyed the ski and hope these are as much fun
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkl-Bridge-Skis-/262950243622?hash=item3d390e4d26:g:03AAAOSw03lY6ow-
1 ... 1314151617