80 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Lifts

louie.mirags
<quote author="Ethan Snow">
raisingarizona wrote
 but It's still much easier on the eyes than MC, partially because it is actually in the Catskills. (Plattekill is not)

I know this is a week old but plattekill is most definitely in the catskills just maybe not in the designated Catskill Park
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Although I agree with you 100%, because it's not officially in the park, anything you say is up for interpretation.

Plattekill is very close to the actual park, so it's a good argument anyways.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Being that park boundaries are of human construct I think the deciding factor should be based on geology. I would bet a good chunk of coin that Plattekill is indeed part of the same geological events as Bell, Hunter and everything else that's considered the Catskills.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Dam I think that's a great argument.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
even the foothills as far south as Monticello and as north and west as hancock are considered the catskills

from wiki "Nor is there a consensus on where the Catskills end to the north or south, with it being certain only that by the time one reaches either I-88, the Delaware River, or the Shawangunk Ridge that one is no longer in the Catskills"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
louie.mirags wrote
even the foothills as far south as Monticello and as north and west as hancock are considered the catskills
Um, not trying to be critical, but Hancock is South of the Catskills. It's right on the Pensylvania border.

louie.mirags wrote
from wiki "Nor is there a consensus on where the Catskills end to the north or south, with it being certain only that by the time one reaches either I-88, the Delaware River, or the Shawangunk Ridge that one is no longer in the Catskills"
This is true. I live on I-88, which parallels the Susquehanna river and I notice a significant difference in topography on the South side of the river. There's a significant ridge of small mountains that follow the southern side of the river. The Otsego/Dealaware county border starts there as well. Route 28 goes over that ridge, and once you climb out of the valley, you gain about 1000 feet of elevation, and that elevation continues all the way into the official Catskill park which is still about a 35 mile drive from that point. The trees look a little different too.  Route 23 from I-87 to where it crosses I-88 runs mostly East/West and sort of defines the Northern edge of the Catskills. Although, the east side of it does cut into the geographic land form a bit near Windham.  23A definitely goes into the mountains. As far as the other side goes, I don't really know well but I would say Route 17 sort of defines the western edge until Monticello, and then draw a line from there to New Paltz.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Ethan Snow wrote
louie.mirags wrote
Um, not trying to be critical, but Hancock is South of the Catskills. It's right on the Pensylvania border.

louie.mirags wrote
This is true. I live on I-88, which parallels the Susquehanna river and I notice a significant difference in topography on the South side of the river. There's a significant ridge of small mountains that follow the southern side of the river. The Otsego/Dealaware county border starts there as well. Route 28 goes over that ridge, and once you climb out of the valley, you gain about 1000 feet of elevation, and that elevation continues all the way into the official Catskill park which is still about a 35 mile drive from that point. The trees look a little different too.  Route 23 from I-87 to where it crosses I-88 runs mostly East/West and sort of defines the Northern edge of the Catskills. Although, the east side of it does cut into the geographic land form a bit near Windham.  23A definitely goes into the mountains. As far as the other side goes, I don't really know well but I would say Route 17 sort of defines the western edge until Monticello, and then draw a line from there to New Paltz.
you're correct, I should have said as west as Hancock meaning the delaware river.  I just view it as north because I live in monticello.  I should have opened a map haha.   I wound up reading a lot of the geology about the catskills (which I have done many times before) and it is still so interesting.  Even just the wiki on the geology of the 'skills is a good, interesting read
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
louie.mirags wrote
  Even just the wiki on the geology of the 'skills is a good, interesting read
Link?
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Ethan Snow wrote
louie.mirags wrote
  Even just the wiki on the geology of the 'skills is a good, interesting read
Link?
I started here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catskill_Mountains

Thought this was interesting as well since it describes the 'skills: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissected_plateau

Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Being that park boundaries are of human construct I think the deciding factor should be based on geology.
I always thought it was.   I didnt even realize some people went with 'park' as a definition.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This is the kind of lift I want Plattekill to replace the double with.

Watch the part from 1:40 to the end.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The glass with movies? Why? That's not very fitting for Plattekill imho.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
in a trolling mood
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
Well while we are at it then, I'll put in a vote for a summit lodge/rotating titty bar with a giant fish tank housing octopuses and other various dangerous and rare aquatic ocean species as the center piece.

And why did I fall for that? Damn you Ethan! Good cast young man!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
If Platty ever needs or gets a lift like that one, it would be time for me to find a new home aki area.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Somewhere in there is Mike Tyson and a tiger.  The name of the lift should be Gong Show.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I love the vid..cool engineering.
that drive station is probably worth more then Platte..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I liked the part with the mountain biking on the screen. Very fitting for Platty.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This thread should really just be called "I'm not Happy Version 3.0"