4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill, NY: 1/8/12

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 11: This morning I woke up in North River and called another audible.  Temps had been close to 40 yesterday at Gore, and had just dropped below freezing by morning.  It seemed likely grooming would be problematic overnight and temps would be dropping further during the day. Not an ideal setup.

I decided to start driving south down route 30 to Plattekill. My idea was that farther south, and later in the day, it would be warmer, and hopefully surfaces would be softer.

As an added bonus I'd get to Plattekill for my first time since the October 30th powder day.  During the season, especially one like this, it's hard to reach Laszlo or Danielle by phone or email. Laszlo has been consumed with snowmaking and operations while Danielle is managing everything else.  So it was also a chance to catch up on the status of some joint projects.

I love the drive between Gore and Plattekill.  It goes through beautiful country in both the Adirondacks and Catskills.  There was so much I wanted to photograph on the way down.  The natural beauty, but also the devastation and irrepressible reconstruction after Irene. Still I had long day ahead of me, so I left the camera in the case except for this one shot...

The confluence of the East and Main Branches of the Sacandaga River

Into the northwestern Catskills I drove along the Schoharie Creek. The stretch of 30 between Fultonham and North Blenheim had been washed away and replaced in several stretches.  I'd estimate I'd seen 2 or 3 miles or brand new road.

I got to Plattekill, booted up and headed out.

I took a run on Powder Puff. I'd never been down it before and there are some nice views of the terrain off the double..

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Temps dropped into range at the top soon after I arrived and the crew started making snow on Upper Face.

As I've done all season, I stuck to the soft snow and the bumps that were forming under the guns.

I was lucky to run into Winter in the Catskills Jen and her husband David. We did bunch of runs, and yakked up a storm on the lift. Eventually we headed in for something warm and to chip off the donut glazing we'd all accumulated from the snowguns on Face.

The lunch room/bar is a really comfortable place. Rustic, with a high ceiling, great views of the mountain. It's uncrowded and offers a hearty meal...

Plattekill is one of my favorite places in New York. Not just favorite ski areas, favorite places. Yeah it's in a remote and snowy spot. The setting is really inspiring. And yea it's steep.  

But I'm not really talking about that. I love the feeling you get in the lodge, on the lifts and looking out over the valley.  The entire experience is inspiring but still comfortable, unhurried and friendly.

I want a Plattekill jacket.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill, NY: 1/8/12

Jamesdeluxe
Harv gets the A-For-Effort award.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Thanks for the TR, can't wait to ski there again. I think that guy in the Jet's shirt has been there every time I've been there, or someone has.
Reply | Threaded
|

jen-k
Harv, it was a blast and an honor spending your birthday with you! We had a great time. Come more. Now you have no excuses not to. And we have guest rooms...