7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill NY: 1/9/15

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 14 at Plattekill was really really fun.  

I pushed hard to get there by first tracks.  There was no real point to that, but I did it anyway, on principle.

I ran into several great skiers I knew: Sean, GetAmped, Chris, Scott, Catskill Freeheel and Suds.

Also got to meet skiwnw, Lisa and Mogul Junkie.

I saw Sean at the front of the line. He was ready to go...

...pacing like a bull, climbing up the bunny slope for a few slow turns.

Ongoing snowmaking looked solid.

There was nice mix of manmade snow with six or eight inches of natural.  You had to watch for quick transitions.

TRANSLATION: I crashed on the first huge whale I attacked on Block.  It was carvy but there was some kind of sublayer collapse, that got me, popped open a buckle on my boot, and then bent it.

It's ALLOY so I knew that trying to bend it back into shape was risky.  I took it to George in the ski shop and we warmed it up and we were gentle rebending. We LOL, George did it.

George Hooks Me Up

Chris on Twist

The Cardinal

Post-Cardinal tracks

GetAmped

ScottSki

Mogul Junkie

I had the honor to meet and ride with Lisa Hinckley, whose uncle started Plattekill back in the day.  I want to interview her family, see their pictures, scan some, give credit, the whole deal.

Lisa

skiwnw

Suds

View towards Bearpen*

There was this cut in on Plunge, from North Face, that we named "nirvana" for convenience.  Do you want to go back to Nirvana? Yes.

It was the sweet even mix of natural that fell while the snowmaking was happening.

*just guessing

Suds rocks

Nirvana at 3pm

Birthday round was smaller than last year, I guess because it was a Friday. I think there were 14.

Still fun as hell, great party all day and after.

Suds and I convoyed together on Rt 30 headed north, we were all cloud nine after the day.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill NY: 1/9/15

PeeTex
Looks like a great day had by all.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
This post was updated on .
Was hoping as a family we could make it up but, sadly there was work.  What an amazing day and a mountain to yourself.   Happy Birthday again.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
Looking great! I be there Sunday with Cornhead and some friends can't wait my first day this season in Roxbury at Platty brown helmet brown coat red snow pants.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Nice pix Harvey. Great day of skiing out there. And thanks again for the beer, so delicious!
Reply | Threaded
|

skiwnw
I second that!  Nice meeting everyone and Harv and Suds I owe you one!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Wow, that looks like a perfect day. Wish I could have joined you guys for sure, thanks for the pics and report.