7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill NY: 2/1/19

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I wanted to hit Plattekill last Friday, my plan was to meet Chris for first chair.  He told me he was going to skin a lap, and try to be back down by the time they dropped the rope.

As I booted up, Bobby C came in and pointed out a small black dot up on Freefall, clearly that was Chris, as I know it's his favorite trail.

I headed over to the the triple to wait for him and watch his progress.  In the process I met Jason. I struck up a convo and it turns out he's a buddy of Chris' too, also watching his progress on the hill.  Do you ever meet someone, who you realize is a close friend of someone you really like and then you fall in right away thick as thieves? Anyone who beats me to the lift in the am, I want to meet...

Jason waits

The original idea was that Plattekill was opening for the first time since the snow earlier in the week, and there would be tracks to be had.  Brownski told me that there had been a mountain rental on Thursday, so that thought seemed to be dashed.

I'd texted Laz and he told me that the rental was really low key. It was a group of beginners who didn't arrive at the mountain until noon.  The mountain did look lightly tracked.

"First" on Plunge

Chris had to jump late morning. Jason and I skied together most of the day.

I was planning on leaving early in the afternoon. It was very cold, below zero most of the morning. I was headed to our place in the Adk that night, and I knew I'd arrive to a frozen building with some work to do, to warm it up.

But one more run turned into more than one run. We skied until last chair, even exploring trees on the sunny side, which, let's face it, just isn't done.

ALL HAIL The Wingplow

I got to North River around 8pm and the snow was deep. One kind soul had gone to great pains to pack out our path, shovel the porch and crank up our electric heaters. God bless you, Shaman.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill NY: 2/1/19

campgottagopee
Looks like a blast
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Looks pretty good. You certainly got the better snow. I love Fridays
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
It really was a great day, a cold day, but conditions were so good you almost didn’t notice.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Nice photos Harv! Looks real good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks all.

Joneski, I'm sorry we didn't get to share a lift ride. I had that one chance, I should have grabbed it!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
No worries Harv.  We’ll cross paths there again.  I should get there a couple more times this season.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake