5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill, NY: 4/6/14

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 23:  The days have been hard to come by for me this season, 23 days by April is pretty lame. But it was a good one.

X and I arrived early but the corn was already softening.  For much of the morning Block had the best snow.  It had been groomed (possibly Friday night) so it was pretty flat, with a single line of bumps down skiers left.

Blockbuster

I got a bunch of pictures of Sean Riley, and in EVERY ONE (where you can see his face) he has a monster grin.

Sean

Patrol seemed to outnumber the customers at least for the first few hours.  This guy, and I can't remember his name, had locks flying in the breeze...

Lots of friends old and new...

John

Marcski REPRESENT

Early AM North Face

This guy was seriously old school, on super long straight skis, rockin the bumps and skiing Platty since 1980...

Bearpen in the distance

Way cool to see Laszlo ski the whole day. Both Laz and Danielle skied a bunch together and they had big grins. 2013-14 was a really solid year erasing some of the pain of 2011-12.

LAz

We skied until 5(?) or so and at one point I looked down off the double and saw Laz ripping GS by himself.  The guy loves to ski.

Lucian's Line

ML

Plunge at days end

End of the season...?

We hung out on the deck having a few beerz and just lovin this place that brings it all together.  Platty has a huge snowmobile race this Saturday and we were pushing Laz to spin em for the diehards on Sunday. Sounded like he might do it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill, NY: 4/6/14

Thehof
Looks and sounds like a great day. Sorry I gad to miss out on the fun.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
This is a great post - we are at Day 30 this year wish we could get another 30 - which means we need to live closer to some mountains. What saved our season was the amount of night skiing we could do at Mountain Creek which is an hour drive from us in NYC. Not the greatest skiing but, fun indeed.. Rather have the Creek around than not at all.

We have yet to hit Plattekill and wish we could have fit it into our season. With the open glades there, its sort of like the Mad River of the Catskills! We prefer the places where it's more about the skiing than about the show, though at times the show is also nice to have from time to time ala skiing at Mount Snow last weekend and heading up to Jay Easter weekend now.

There looks like enough coverage there to get a couple of more weekends and heck, if you have an AT set-up, I would skin it.  I don't have that kind of gear yet as we are a family that is on a budget, though the plan is to save up and get a set up this summer!

Thanks again for this great report and excellent photos! Just curious, what are you shooting with?

Ray
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
A few more photos from a great day

Looking for The Cardinal

Fresh tracks in the corn

Big views of Bearpen - top of Blockbuster

Harv

Freefall - finding some sweet sugar

Airborne Harv

ml242

Plattekill Dogs

Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Epic! Someone remind me not to go on vacation this week next year....
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen