Platty 02/11/2012

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Platty 02/11/2012

Cornhead
It's easy to take the Catskills for granted. Today I was reminded that they are stunning in their own right. It's amazing what a dusting of snow can do to enhance the natural beauty of the mountains. I decided to approach Plattekill from the south via rt 17 to Downsville, then rt 30 along the Pepacton Reservoir. I think it is roughly the same mileage as taking rt 88 to Oneonta, then rt 23. The southern route is the more scenic of the two. With the evergreens coated in white, this was particularly true today. I arrived a little after opening, I was on the chair by 9:30. I took a cruise down Powder Puff to warm up, it's a pretty long trail for such a little mountain. I followed this with runs down Sundown to Shredded Mozzarella, then Upper and Lower Face. All skied well, Upper Face was a little chunky. Then it was off to the steeper terrain off of the double, Northface and Blockbuster were both in great shape early on. I was a little nervous skiing the connector from the lift to Blockbuster, it was a little thin and bare, I was on my new sticks, no harm done. As is the norm for most places this year, the steeper terrain tends to get skied off as the day wears on. Blockbuster was pretty slick later in the day. Northface held up much better. I decided to just cruise Powder Puff and Sundown the last four or five runs of the day, as this was where the best snow could be found.

While on the triple, I looked up and who did I see? This guy must live here, I've been to Platty four times, he's been there every time. I remember him in one of Harv's TR's.. J..E..T..S..JETS, JETS, JETS.

I took more pics, but accidentally deleted them. I couldn't figure out how to transfer them to my PC. I emailed them to myself, but only a couple files showed any data. Still trying to figure out my new smart phone. I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the photos, supposed to be 8 megapixel. Ones when the sun was out didn't look too bad.

Hats off to the crew at Platty. What was open was in pretty good shape considering the weather this season.

Here's why I always take the northern route home, Brooks' House of Bar-B-Q, Oneonta. My kind of apre ski. Great food, great prices.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Platty 02/11/2012

Big D
Hey Cornhead! (my missing shoes did show up at the Greek Peak lost and found)

Anyways wanted to mention a 3rd route to get to Platekill or Belleayre. It was in April of 2010 at Belleayre when I ran into John from Greek and I asked him which route he drives to get to Belleayre... and he told me to try this route to get back to Binghamton. This is shorter than the Rt. 17 to East Branch, Downsville route BUT there are a couple steep hills involved.

(going from Binghamton to Platekill or Bell). You go up Route 88 to Bainbridge get off exit and onto State Rt. 206 East, proceed to Walton and get on State Route 10 North, proceed to Delancy and turn right onto Route 2 (somtimes called the Andes to Delancy road), at end of route 2 (Andes) get on Route 28 South and proceed to Belleayre or Platekill. (some real nice farms along this route that have been well maintained). Mileage ways, I think this is the shortest route (with a few hills). If I remember right this route is 98 miles (Bing. to Belleayre) and the Downsville route is 108/110 miles BUT with no real big hills but winding road along the Pepacton reservoir.

However if I am going to Hunter or Windham, I always take the Route 88 to Oneonta, then down Route 23 drive.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Platty 02/11/2012

Cornhead
  Hey Big D, glad you got your shoes back, that was weird. Thanks for the info, might have to give that route at try next time I go. My first job out of High School was delivering candy and cigarettes to little Ma and Pa stores in the area. I remember going through a State Forest out of Walton to get to one of my stops, it was pretty cool. That was the first time I'd ever seen the Downsville/Pepacton Reservoir also. I had no idea how huge they are. New York City ranks highly in water tastings due to the fact their water comes from the Cats.  Did you make it to Greek for the big dump? I didn't see you. I really wanted to play hooky today but we're pretty backed up in my department at work. Guess I should count my blessings, maybe the economy is finally turning the corner, I hope so. See you at the molehill.