Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Politics

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
So like, did it happen? No more politicrap?
You going to be alright? No meme outlet - you might get the skakes. Hang in there, withdrawals can be tough but your tougher.
Johnny should still do memes. He had the best ones. They don't have to be political to be funny.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Johnny should still do memes. He had the best ones. They don't have to be political to be funny.
Yes, but a slippery slope it would be!  Could we keep away from political memes?  Refrain from talking to the memes?

I respect Harvey’s decision to respect the integrity and intent of the ski blog he so passionately created.  It would be interesting to see how, if at all, the demise of the politics board affects daily traffic and clicks.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I know I could
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
I respect Harvey’s decision to respect the integrity and intent of the ski blog he so passionately created.  It would be interesting to see how, if at all, the demise of the politics board affects daily traffic and clicks.....
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think the non-political memes were among the funniest.  Still, Liz Warren with an afro was pretty hilarious.

As some of you know I've been considering killing PC for a while and actually made the decision to do so a few weeks ago.  The new forum will likely require re-registering if you still want to participate and I figured that would be a logical time to do it.

I was surprised that some of the most prolific posters said they really didn't like PC.  I don't really get that.  I liked being able to talk about politics and I learned a lot from the less dogmatic posters.

Look back at the first post in this thread, I said specifically that by requesting entry in the PC forum you were agreeing not to PM me with complaints about the content or posters within. Even though I haven't met many of you, I consider you guys as friends and I didn't want to be asked to take sides.

Regarding passion, yeah I love NYSB.  It's something I created on my own from scratch. The only other thing I can think of in that category is our cabin, and I love that too.

As far as traffic and clicks, I could care less.  I'd trade 1000 pages of Trump for a single comment on a blog post or a legit post in the TR forum.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Well said Harv

The place was mostly a blast for me. Sometimes it woul tilt towards meanness and that's what I didn't like about it.

Sucks you got so many PM's. That's crap!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I totally get it Harvey.

I know you don’t care about clicks, which is why I respect your decision.

My curiosity wasn’t from the business or technical side of internet clicks.  PC did give us interesting (if one could keep it in check) stuff to talk about in between contributing in other areas.  I do think things will be quieter without PC, and I realize that will be a good thing from your perspective.  

The only thing I disliked about PC was the time I’d spend screwing around on it, but I never took it so seriously that it’s existence or interactions troubled me.  I can’t believe people PM’d you over that nonsense.

Anywho....I look forward to the new version of the site!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JTG4eva! wrote
I know you don’t care about clicks, which is why I respect your decision.
This isn't exactly true. I'm proud of our numbers.  Honestly there aren't too many blogs that have grown an audience this size.  Last spring at Plattekill I had a proud papa moment when I showed that page to the guys from Powder and they were stunned. Porter said it was more traffic than they got to powder.com.

What I was trying to say was that the political content isn't what it is about for me.  I enjoy certain aspects of it. But in the last few days I came to feel it was more work than it is worth.  People assume I read every single post. As admin I probably should but and I don't, especially during the work day. Posters often don't believe this, I don't need that.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm afraid MC will have quoting withdraws  
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I’m hoping wikileaks releases Harv’s private messages.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
I'm afraid MC will have quoting withdraws
I can see it now - he will start posting bar charts, pie charts and graphs plotting the efficacy of telemark with your chin on your chest versus alpine looking down hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Nice!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Matt keeps bringing politics back into discussions - Harv doesn’t seem to care so I guess it’s open season, let’s have at it - open season on politicrap distributed any place any where.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Harv doesn't much care if politics is in or out.  But I do care about inforcing the policy we made as a group, or that I made based on the group's input. The way I read it, everyone but PeeTex said they wanted politics out. I did care about that one image, it will haunt me for a long time.

Politics is not coming back. Some who voted for killing it seem to be having second thoughts.

MC pushes the limit just far enough so he has plausible deniability to say hey "that was really on topic and while it refers to political personalities and views it's legit on topic."  Peetex plays no such game and gives his political views straight up.

I'm going to continue to delete stuff as I choose and you might not like it.