Powder Night at Greek Peak 12/18/13

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Powder Night at Greek Peak 12/18/13

Powderqueen
The New Greek Peak was in fine condition. Lake effect snow set up in the afternoon and showered upon the Virgil region. It was fluff on fluff. No ice anywhere. All this cold snow and we have not yet had a warm-up so there really is no ice. It was like western conditions.

I left work a few hours early and arrived at the ski area around 3pm and got the closest parking spot to the lodge.

While it was light, I explored the off-piste. While the base isn't really deep, there was plenty of powder and everything skied beautifully. Sadly chair 4 wasn't running. Chair 2 opened at 3pm, so everything there was untracked goodness. I was going stealth, flying solo, tunes rockin. It was snowing heavily. I just skied top to bottom, effortlessly in the soft powder. Went back over to Chair 1 to ski Olympian before it was dark. Odyssey has been left au natural and was the best I've ever skied it. There was not even a man-made base. The conditions were just powder on powder. There were  only a handful of people there, so for the most part, it felt like I had the place to myself. I never shared a lift ride or talked to anyone except for the lifties, who, btw, were extremely friendly and outgoing. Something we haven't seen here much. They seemed happy to be outside in the snow and were happy for us that we were skiing the beautiful powder. I'm really liking the new Greek Peak.

When the skies darkened it was really no consolation to ski on the trails under the lights. The lighting was decent and gave the snow more definition and there was plenty of powder on every trail. The least tracked was Alcemene, under the new quad. The quad was spinning but they were not yet loading Rumor is they will get the go-ahead by the weekend, perhaps sooner.

the snow was very light and sparkly
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Night at Greek Peak 12/18/13

Sick Bird Rider
Woo hoo! Night pow - nothing like it.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Night at Greek Peak 12/18/13

campgottagopee
Knowing the snow we recieved tuesday night and the LE we got yesterday, I would be surprised if you reported anything other than what you did. Glad you got after it.

I was sitting in my office, watching it snow, dreaming of my fatties. Sadly it's over for a while. Hopefully the LE Machine cranks up again very, very soon!