Proper use of chain saw to clean up trails?

56 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Proper use of chain saw to clean up trails?

So the wedge helps insure a big tree will fall the way you intend?

I have a few trees I'd like to drop, but I've never touched them because I'm not sure which way they would fall.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Yeah, a plastic wedge will get you out of a jam when the log squeezes the bar. (Think cutting the middle of a log that is only supported on the ends. It will fall in the middle where you're cutting like a "V".) "Safety. No Compromise."
Reply |

Harv, a wedge also helps open up the cut so the tree doesn't "sit" on the bar. (Standing trees that haven't fallen yet)
https://www.familyhandyman.com/landscaping/how-to-cut-down-a-tree/view-all/
BRLKED BRLKED
Reply |

Most of my plastic wedge use is on down trees, avoiding pinched bars.  A wedge cut is almost always necessary  on a standing tree.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

One of the downsides of not living on your property:

I had three Poplars that were supposed to be dropped before construction of our building. Due to some kind of miscommunication between the logger and I, they were never dropped.  They are a danger to our buildings and I don't feel like I can safely drop them. Actually one fell on it's own in a storm and missed everything.  

I'd really like the other two down.  Nobody seems willing to attempt it. I'm sure if I find someone it will be expensive.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply |

Is that a challenge?
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
If your doing tree work all day long you are gonna fuck up from time to time. Chaps are a must imo. You carry multiple wedges on your person as well and with the really really big trees you are gonna use em.
Hey, I never claimed to be a pro!  Having dropped quite a few trees as a homeowner I relied on proper notching....and the safety of the come along on the big trees.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

I can see how a wedge would be useful in avoiding a pinched bar on a felled tree.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
raisingarizona wrote
If your doing tree work all day long you are gonna fuck up from time to time. Chaps are a must imo. You carry multiple wedges on your person as well and with the really really big trees you are gonna use em.
Hey, I never claimed to be a pro!  Having dropped quite a few trees as a homeowner I relied on proper notching....and the safety of the come along on the big trees.
Shit, I’m far from a pro too! Maybe the very best of the bestbtarely need a wedge but my rookie arse sure did a lot.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
How long did you do tree work johhnyonthespot?

I only did it full time for one season but I still help out from time to time. I think I’m doing a week long job this December taking out hazard trees along the Core trails in the Grand Canyon.