Props to Gore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Props to Gore

Marcski
Snow and trees at Jay are great. I agree about the tram and about the location.  However, IMHO, in the end, you can't really compare east coast vs. west coast skiing.  Mountains and/or snowfall are just bigger out west, period.

I think the Mad River Valley is also pretty hard to beat as far as places in the east to ski with Sugarbush and MRG.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Marcski is talking sense
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The Tram at Jay has one positive - when it’s cold at Jay it Clucking Fold - with a direct North face there isn’t a bit of sunlight to warm you in early winter. It does get you out of the cold and wind and mid week the wait is short. However I doubt I will ever return to Jay - I’d rather hop the plane to SLC.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The box at the Bird is a bit more raderer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I only skied Jay once (for 3 days).  

Here is some heresy from Harv:

I have to admit I agree about the tram. We waited 45 minutes, it's a crowded ride to the top.

The terrain and snow up top is very cool, and we had a fun run on Green Beret (I think). But it killed a lot of the day.

Would like to hear what SBR thinks.
As a long-time Jay skier, I have a different perspective. The tram is part what Jay Peak is, it has been there since the '60s. Those who say that it doesn't give you access to that much more terrain are correct but that terrain is pretty nice, the views are spectacular and there is a nice little cafeteria at the top. The Vermonter is a super-fun cruising run, Valhalla is a beautiful glade, Green Beret is an adventure and the runs of the ridge are there for those that want that experience. That said, the only sensible time to ride the Tram is when there is a short wait.

I totally agree with RA about the need to put in some new lifts to access the better terrain. There was a good discussion about this concept on AZ a couple of years ago, complete with Google Earth maps and detailed proposals. All conceptual but fun discussion.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
There was a double chair that went from about the top of the Freezer to the behind the tram house.  According to my parents, it was never open due to wind.  That was before my time (mid-70's onward).  Maybe something could be done with lifts nowadays.

I agree with SBR.  The tram is the landmark for the hill and for the area.  After $4M in upgrades last year, I don't think it's going anywhere.

You would also have to find a new name for Tram Ale .

Larger gondola cabins would be nice.  60 people is pretty small.

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
D.B. Cooper wrote
There was a double chair that went from about the top of the Freezer to the behind the tram house.  According to my parents, it was never open due to wind.  That was before my time (mid-70's onward).  Maybe something could be done with lifts nowadays.
The Skyline Chair. Before my time but the concrete footings are still there at the summit. Plus there was the poma almost to the summit (now the run called Poma Line) and said pomas & towers are now at Hickory.

D.B. Cooper wrote
Larger gondola cabins would be nice.  60 people is pretty small.
Seriously? Being on the tram with even 60 people kind of freaks me out. Plus they would have to totally rebuild the base and summit lodges to accommodate a larger car.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ha! I assumed he was kidding.

Poma line is a fun one.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Not kidding.  The tram at Cannon is 80; the Bird 120.  That didn't freak me out any more.  I kind of thought that if you're dumping $4 mil into upgrades anyway, maybe it's worth looking at.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Cannon tram capacity is 80 during summer/fall. In winter it is 70 due to all the skis and boards and heavy, awkward footwear involved in our sport.

I almost never ride it unless I start the day there, or come out of Kinsman Glade, or if the kids want to.

Also.....I miss Gore. Or at least......I miss the Gore of my memory.