Putting Good Old Bindings On New Fat Skis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Putting Good Old Bindings On New Fat Skis

Spongeworthy
I still have my Rossi FK's bindings (Geze toe and a Look turntable heel) that are still mounted on Rossi Viper X's that I stopped using many years ago. I've heard that they're still a great match for a pair of new skis that are sold "flat," but the brake obviously won't fit over the new fatter skis.

Anybody have any suggestions about substituting a brake? Do I have to use a leash?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting Good Old Bindings On New Fat Skis

tBatt
This post was updated on .
Bend them. It's not terribly hard to do. Involves clamping the binding down, an old ski pole, and a wrench for a spacer. I'll see if I can dig something up about it. As far as I know, FKS brakes are not replaceable.

EDIT
Here ya go. Make sure to bend them slowly! Seems like Salomon brakes are more malleable than Rossignol. Whether to heat them up or not seems to be a debate with no real answer. I would think it would be hard to heat them with a torch if they're mounted on the ski, though. When I said clamping them down, I mean making sure the brake is in the "up" position. I guess if they're already mounted on the ski and cant go down, then that's set. I saw a video a while back that used a wrench for a spacer between the side of the ski and the bend in the brake. Looks like this guy just uses the sidewall of his ski. I think the wrench would make it a cleaner-looking, tighter-radius bend but would probably fatigue the metal more.

Edit x2. Ok, Wrong again. FSK brakes are replaceable. But I still don't think you can buy them as wide brakes.
Another tutorial.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/24647-P18-Wide-Brakes-Tutorial-(with-pictures!)

Looks more technical than the other way, but a bit cleaner. Definitely more of a PITA.