|

Re: Quiver of One?

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Powderqueen wrote
I think you are going to love them.
You guys were right. They were great.  

I have to admit I was amazed at how torsionally stiff they were.  Definitely a competent hardpack ski.

If they become my everyday ski, I think I'll be eyeing up a beefier boot - the T1s.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Harvey
Administrator
The Pilgrims have rocked in current conditions at Gore.

Basically we're skiing edgeable styrofoam bumps, with soft snow in the troughs.

Granted they are new, but I'm amazed at the edge hold, and the ski's ability to tame cutup, crud and anything irregular.

Now I finally understand the concept of "quick edge-to-edge"...  and these skis are NOT quick.   Ripping the soft snow that hangs out in the 10 feet down the side requires real commitment to each turn. I think it's actually helped my skiing.

IF I can handle them in trees... (BIG IF) ... we'll be talking Quiver of One.

Either way it's a ski I definitely want to own.

Thanks to everyone who pushed me in the Line Prophet/Icelantic direction.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Harvey44 wrote
Ha! Once you start, you don't go backwards. Your quiver only gets bigger, never smaller. Once the Pilgrims become your everyday ski, you'll need something fatter. With rocker. Or something else. It gets addictive having the right tool for the job cause there is always a ski that can perform better in other conditions...

;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
riverc0il wrote
Harvey44 wrote
Ha! Once you start, you don't go backwards. Your quiver only gets bigger, never smaller. Once the Pilgrims become your everyday ski, you'll need something fatter. With rocker. Or something else. It gets addictive having the right tool for the job cause there is always a ski that can perform better in other conditions...

;)
hmmm, I dunno...since I got the Prophets I have sold all my skis and am wanting to sell my rockered Gotamas. I feel as though the Prophets will do it all. I plan to bring my Goats out west with me if I don't sell them. I know they will be more fun in the deep powder, but we just don't get that here.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Powderqueen wrote
riverc0il wrote
Harvey44 wrote

;)
hmmm, I dunno...since I got the Prophets I have sold all my skis and am wanting to sell my rockered Gotamas. I feel as though the Prophets will do it all. I plan to bring my Goats out west with me if I don't sell them. I know they will be more fun in the deep powder, but we just don't get that here.
but you are confirming not having a one ski quiver is better
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Quiver of Two

Harvey
Administrator
skimore wrote
I probably should have named this thread ...

"My only functional skis right now are over three years old, and are lifeless.  While I probably can't afford two pairs this year ... if the ultimate is to have a 'Quiver of Two' where should I start?"

IMO the ultimate Quiver of Two is a Quiver of ONE ski, plus a POW ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
buy your stuff online and a multiquiver is more affordable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Powderqueen wrote
riverc0il wrote
Harvey44 wrote

;)
Ok, maybe for me, since I go out west annually, but Harvey skis at Gore and he can easily get away with a quiver of one with the Pilgrim or Prophet. I sold all the skis I have under 90mm under foot. I don't feel as though I need them anymore and having a fatter ski than the Prophet is nice, but not really necessary here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Snowballs
I got a good price on the Icelantics from Gear Source.

Maybe I could have gotten them for less online.

But.. I really like having a Gear Source in North Creek.

Two weeks ago I came into town late on a friday, Jeff kept the store open and fitted Pilgrim demos to my boots. I took them that night and skied Whiteface on Saturday and Gore on Sunday.

While I was skiing Sunday, Jeff mounted up a new pair, and tuned my other pair of skis while I skied the demos for another day. To have this kind of service in town is worth a lot to me.

My classic Gear Source story, was the time Jeff pulled parts out of a new binding to fix my old binding and get me skiing again.  Pretty much saved my vacation, for $3, which I had to force him to take.

Like I said, I like having the Gear Source in North Creek.

FYI 4 or 5 people on the hill asked me if those were Icelantics and if I bought then at Gear Source.  A few of those people were patrol, so it seems like people are behind the idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Harvey
Anybody on the Rossi S3?   Hearing/reading its an all mountain, but at 98 waist.....hmmmm.....Rocker....
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Harvey44 wrote

Maybe I could have gotten them for less online.

But.. I really like having a Gear Source in North Creek.

Two weeks ago I came into town late on a friday, Jeff kept the store open and fitted Pilgrim demos to my boots. I took them that night and skied Whiteface on Saturday and Gore on Sunday.

While I was skiing Sunday, Jeff mounted up a new pair, and tuned my other pair of skis while I skied the demos for another day. To have this kind of service in town is worth a lot to me.

My classic Gear Source story, was the time Jeff pulled parts out of a new binding to fix my old binding and get me skiing again.  Pretty much saved my vacation, for $3, which I had to force him to take.

Like I said, I like having the Gear Source in North Creek.

FYI 4 or 5 people on the hill asked me if those were Icelantics and if I bought then at Gear Source.  A few of those people were patrol, so it seems like people are behind the idea.
THE GEAR SOURCE ROCKS!! What a great shop. Jeff really had the right idea. North Creek needed a shop like that. Great prices on both new and used gear and there is a lot of expertise and experience to gain from. I drove 4 hours just to have my bindings mounted there. No place I'd rather do business.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey44 wrote

The guy goes to all that extra length to put a shine on your apple and you didn't leave a $20 laying on the counter?

Soooooo........not much chance of collecting all those outstanding cookie debts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snowballs wrote
The guy goes to all that extra length to put a shine on your apple and you didn't leave a $20 laying on the counter?
Jeff is extremely fair, and I do my best to return the favor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
A fly in the ointment.

Yes the bigger skis give me way more control in tough situations.

And I've found myself wanting bigger boots.  (T1s).

But, after FOUR DAYS of pounding the hardpack, practically bell-to-bell - on the fifth day my left knee was sore.

Two days later I feel fine but, this is my first time ever feeling my knees, from telemarking.

(Oddly I always get knee twinges from running, and occasionally from rock hopping in streams.)

It makes total sense that upping the burliness of the gear, transfers more stress to your body.

I already parallel anything that's hard packed or close. I only really tele when I'm in bumbs, soft snow or trees.  Probably half the time, over a full season. If I'm already doing what I can to do low impact tele...

I may need alpine boards. There I said it.

I think I want the same darn ski - the Pilgrim - with an AT binding. The new quiver of 2.

Who knows about AT? What am I giving up vs. a standard alpine binding?  

What's the AT binder of choice for those who use them? (Riv, skimore, who else?)

This is a bit of a pipe dream moneywise, but if my knees are protesting going forward, I'll find a way to do it.

If it means skiing more, or longer, or past the next birthday... I'm there.