RAV4 vs Santa Fe? 3 adults, luggage, ski bags

15 messages Options
marznc marznc
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: RAV4 vs Santa Fe? 3 adults, luggage, ski bags

x10003q wrote
Some RAVS have a standard luggage rack on the roof. You might be able to bungee the skis to the rack. I  have done this on previous trips out west. See if you can figure out if the RAV you rent has a luggage rack.
Was planning on bringing stuff to put skis on top if possible.  Tends to be a last choice.  It's hard to do when you're 5' tall. On the plus side, I fit in any airplane seat.  ;-)
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

Rav ! Own both a RAV ( my wifes )  and an Outback . Frankly either one is capable of handling 3 with gear . Have done so many times with two other 6 foot buddies . We used the Rav as our local drive and always us it to a mtn about 1hr and 15 minutes away , but have also used it for a drives to hills  3 hrs away .

The OB has a smoother ride (longer wheel base) , but the Rav should suit you fine
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

Longer wheelbase= more room for skis
marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Rav ! Own both a RAV ( my wifes )  and an Outback . Frankly either one is capable of handling 3 with gear . Have done so many times with two other 6 foot buddies . We used the Rav as our local drive and always us it to a mtn about 1hr and 15 minutes away , but have also used it for a drives to hills  3 hrs away .

The OB has a smoother ride (longer wheel base) , but the Rav should suit you fine
Thanks!
marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Longer wheelbase= more room for skis
Of course.  Also means a little roomier when we drive to dinner, which potentially could be five people.  That's why I'm trying to completely understand all the pros and cons between the two SUVs.

I have a minivan.  That's what I've been driving around the mid-Atlantic and the northeast for skiing for the past 15 years.  Can't really justify the expense of renting a minivan just to have more interior space.  While snow on the roads is not that big a concern for Taos in mid-Jan, I'd rather have a more snow-worthy vehicle.  Definitely useful for the drive up to the Bavarian.  That road gets plowed but not down to pavement.