23 messages Options
CMR
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recommend a resort for me

CMR
Milo Maltbie wrote
Lift lines are rarely bad at Gore. If you have even a little knowledge of the area, you can stay ahead of the lines by moving around to Burnt Ridge or High Peaks.  The worst thing about Gore is that it always requires a lot of skating and traversing to ski relatively short runs.

MM
With respect, I don't agree.  I ski 30+ days a year at Gore and almost never wait on line.  That is, however, as long as there are no lift issues.  Over the last several years, the main lift line disasters were either due to the ADK triple or the Gondola having problems.  And unfortunately that seemed to happen over MLK weekend or some other major holiday.  We're somewhat protected from those holiday disasters now that we have the new front-side HSQ.  

As for skating/traversing... if you know the mountain well, there are ways to avoid too much traversing.  And really, the only significant traverses are pipeline and ceders and they're not that bad as long as you aren't a boarder.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
snoloco wrote
I'd choose Gore.  
? I thought you hated Gore?
I don't hate it.  I just recommend avoiding it at all costs during Christmas Week because their snowmaking sucks.  I also believe that Burnt Ridge desperately needs more trails.  I've had many great ski days at Gore and I recommend it for what this person is looking for.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Hello again. Had to chime in, Whiteface is where you going to want to be. Just pulling in the parking lot is going to make you see that. There are intermediate trails, if you get there early the grooming will make them very skiable for intermediate skiers. It may take you a half hour for each run but that's because you are skiing 1k plus vertical on 90% of the lifts. You will be able to ski the summit, your daughter won't ever forget that view. It will get schatchy around lunch time. If you start on first chair by then your going to be pooped. Go into lake placid, you can take her to a ice show, out to dinner or just hang out at the pool at the hotel. That time of year is going to be cold all over the north east... And whiteface will be a little colder than others.