MikeK
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Review: Madshus Eon vs. Fischer S Bound 78

Telemark Dave
Wow.  Nuff said.... Thanks MikeK.   (Best tech review ever posted here.. Please keep 'em coming.. )

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Yes, thanks for the effort Mike. As noted elsewhere, I have the Fischer S-Bound 112 and really like them. I definitely concur that they climb well, especially considering how much camber they have. My theory is that the grip pattern plays a big part in this. Fischer dominates the XC ski world and puts a lot of time and energy into R&D. Their "crown base" is probably the most sophisticated pattern on the market.

Mike, you did not mention Fischer's "nordic rocker," which is an advertised feature on the S-Bound series skis. Personally, I can't figure out if it really works, or whether it is a flex thing, or a shape thing. Fischer describes it thusly: "slightly opened ski tips for perfect gliding in unprepared terrain." What does that mean? Is this the XCD version of early rise? Can you discern any difference in tip profile between your Fischers and the Madshus?

My experience turning these has shown that they really do best in open terrain, doing big open turns. Tight turns in the trees require very aggressive weight/unweight to get over the camber and stiffness. This is when Charger Love comes into play!

FWIW, here is a good review of the 112s:
http://www.earnyourturns.com/9489/review-fischer-s-bound-112/
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
MikeK wrote
As far as your issue with the 112, I'm guessing you are pretty light.  I have no issue with the 98.  I can flex that sucker like nothing and it turns aggressively.  You might have better luck with the Annum.  I didn't measure it but it has the softest flex of any ski I owned.  That's one reason I sold it.  It's just too floppy for me.
You are probably right about the weight factor. I'm 5'8", weigh 165 and my S-Bounds are 179s. TD has Karhu Guides (same ski as Madshus Annum) which are noticeably noodlier. The Fischers were on super-sale so I bought them rather than paying full pop for the Annums. No regrets, now that I have the Chargers, the Fischers have a more specific use in the quiver.

But they do make nice turns in the right setting:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Drat... Missed it by this much... I'd have gladly taken your 185 Annums off your feet Mike.  I' do indeed have the Guides, in a 175, which is a touch too short to float me.... They're the very definition of meadow skippers, and I'm always on the lookout for another (used) pair...

I think because I drive them, and all my XCD skis with plastic boots I have no issues with wider skis.  Thus my Charger love.  

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
OP updated with final conclusions section.