Risks with GoPro?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Risks with GoPro?

njadk
I do not own a GoPro, but the questions raised in this article are interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

For gear junkies and those who use cameras, what do you think about this? Could the impact from a fall directly on a helmet camera weaken the helmet to the point where a helmet may not work as intended?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Risks with GoPro?

Harvey
Administrator
Who knows. Certainly seems possible.

He skied over some very thin snow, hit a rock. Sounds possible that his skis stopped dead. That could cause enough leverage to crack a helmet I think.

The odd thing is the camera was undamaged which makes it sound very heavy duty or solid.

The whole thing seems a little fluky.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
ehh, im not convinced. not skiing, but mtbing ive fallen with a gopro on and it popped right off. wacked my head pretty good. I think it was just a series of unfortunate events. ive had a few customers come into the ski shop with helmets that are fully split apart. one gentleman said he just fell weird on the helmet and it split. wasn't going fast, just hit his head right. helmets are meant to fail. they are suppose to break and buckle.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Due to the potential money involved, I am sure the facts are expanded.   One celled animals too are giants under a micoscope.   Lets focus on the tree, not the forrest.   He was negligent.  

If this were a 14 yo boy, he'd be called an ignorant wanna be gaper, with no microscope on the facts.    But this is a rich, famous person, who must be an awesome skier because he owns a home on the mountain, he posesses great equipment and skills.  Darn his helmet mounted camera, which by the way was not damaged.  

While I am no expert in crash reconstruction or materials, let the real unfiltered facts out:  Lets see the helmet from a couple views,  I can tell if it "looks" suspicious.   Let me see the video, was he traveling above 14 mph? How fast was he moving when he hit the rock.   Don't give me facts trough the fogged lense of alleged journalism.  

Note how they immediately began claiming the resort did not adequately warn....thank goodness that was tossed quickly by their court system.    

The area where this occured looks similar to Mt Hood in the summer.    You better be wary of changing pistes as there are hidden/barely exposed rock bands that will stop a skier/boarder in their tracks.    

From Wiki on helmets:   Helmets are tested for effectiveness at about 14 mph (23 km/h), but the typical maximum speed of skiers and snowboarders is approximately twice that speed, with some participants going much faster. At such speeds, impact with a fixed object is likely to be fatal regardless of helmet use. By contrast, in an impact with icy snow wearing a helmet can be the difference between a minor head injury and a significant or life-threatening head injury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_helmet
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Too bad he was not aware of the:   Auto-follow Drone.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
i asked a couple friends who work for ski helmet brands and they both said that any helmet mounted camera stuck to the helmet voids the safety rating. i still think camera or no camera he would have been in the same spot.