Salomon BBR

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Salomon BBR

Spongeworthy
I demoed a pair of Salomon BBR's at Gore on Saturday. Extremely impressed with its edgehold and carving. I ripped down Lies like I never have before.

I skied it 15 cm longer than my regular skis and it did not feel any longer, but they definitely weigh more than anything else I own. First time I ever tried anything with rocker, so I don't know how typical this is of the breed, but I want a pair as soon as the budget allows. Too bad they're some of the ugliest skis I've ever seen.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Salomon BBR

Condor
ive spent 9 or so days on them. they are fun skis, but since this is your first rockered ski you have been on, i would highly recommend trying other rockered skis first. there are plenty of other skis that ski, in my opinion, much better than the bbr. salomon is pushing this ski way to hard, its a great ski with a unique concept but it will not be the future of skiing, nor does it ski any better than anything else out there. the only thing it has is looking different. that being said, it does do everything well, i wouldnt call it great, but if you are looking for a one ski quiver it fits nicely into that category.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Condor wrote
there are plenty of other skis that ski, in my opinion, much better than the bbr.

it does do everything well, i wouldnt call it great, but if you are looking for a one ski quiver it fits nicely into that category.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious. What have you tried that's better and how close would any of them be to a one ski quiver?

My main 2 pairs of are 124/85/114 and 124/76/108. A lot of overlap, but the narrow one doesn't like the trees and deep powder and the wide one doesn't like ice. Tho' there obviously wasn't any powder or trees to try the BBR, I could feel that they would be great in the trees and the edgehold was quite impressive.

Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
to list a few id say:
nordica steadfast flat or hell and back. steadfast being 90 underfoot and the hell and back at 98
rossignol experience 88 flat or experience 98
line prophet 90 or 98
volkl kendo or mantra. kendo at 88 underfoot mantra at 98.

ive skied all those and preferred them over the bbr in just about every condition, and i would put any of those as a one ski quiver for the east. just depends on what waist width you want. all those i listed are flat tails as well, other than prophets. if you wanted a twin tip ski that also expands the range of possibilities.

nordica soul rider at 97 under foot (my everyday ski)
rossignol s3 at 98 underfoot
line blend or sir francis bacon. blend at 100 and sfb at 107
volkl bridge at 95 underfoot

all of those ive skied and would pick over a bbr. i just prefer the way they ski over the bbr. the bbr is a fun ski and i dont want to make it seem like it isnt, i just want to make sure you try something else out before making a decision.

as far as tree skiing goes, they do well in the trees but sometimes those tips get in the way. haha, other than that the few times i took them in the trees they were fine. also as far as edge hold, those skies were probable tuned the night before, and will get tuned the night after the demo. all demo skis are usually pretty damn sharp. if you go to a multi day demo  you will see them start tuning skis that afternoon under the tent. if you keep your edges fresh by tuning them more often you can rail turns on any ski. however unless you have your own materials that gets expensive, and quickly.

PS: there are sooo many skis in the one ski quiver category that i couldnt list them all. theres even more skis that ive tried that would fit into that category but those that i listed were the ones i enjoyed the most.....and at the moment can remember. if you have any other questions about specific skis just ask.

frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i agree with condor. found the bbr too one dimensional. i think it's geared towards intermediates on groomers. the exaggerated tips catch frequently. imagine what trouble the tips  would do on mogels or in the trees. there are so many skis in the 80 to 100 waist category which are so much more versatile. two of my favorites are the rossi S3 and volke bridge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I definitely asked the right people. Thanks for the great information.

I will not buy anything until I demo more skis. Really looking forward to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
yep demo b4 u buy,,i no sports page in queensbury has a bunch of different skis mounted up for folks too try,or at least they did,mite b all sold by now.....
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
SP still has a nice selection of demo skis. $40/day I believe?