Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Seeking CO ski trip advice

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Z
Hoser wrote
Consider Loveland.  Close, not crowded
Coach Z wrote
Winter Park is actually really underrated.

Covered here:
http://mag.nyskiblog.com/Loveland-and-Winter-Park-CO-I-70-Outliers-td3463257.html
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
We spent President's week last year at Steamboat, and it was great. The mountain never felt crowded, and we rarely waited in a lift line. Not sure about the drive from Denver though, as we flew into Hayden. Steamboat is lower in altitude than many of the Summit County resorts, so if you are bothered by high altitude, it's a good choice.  My family had a really rough time at Breckenridge because of the altitude, so it's always a factor for me when planning a trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Consider staying the first night in Denver
I didn't last year and got altitude sick
There is some anecdotal evidence that taking ginkgo supplements for a few weeks prior to being at altitude can help some people avoid altitude sickness. Every time my wife and I have gone to CO we have done this, and gone straight up to Winter Park after getting into Denver. WP is about 9k feet, and while you can certainly feel the effects of being that high we've never really experienced any symptoms of altitude sickness. Same with the kids the year we took them.

If you're concerned about that, and are considering a  Steamboat/WP combo - go to Steamboat first. Pretty much the same elevation as Denver. The drive isn't bad at all - I've driven that far for a day trip back here in the east. Roads generally easy - worst part is I70 especially through Loveland pass, and then occasionally Rabbit Ears pass will be a bit snow covered. Heading up to or down from WP you have to contend with the drive through Berthoud Pass - it closes fairly regularly.

Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I've been skiing out west since '96 and have yet to have an issue.  My friend who may come has been to UT with me without issue...hopefully our wives don't feel it...first time out west for them
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
ADmiKe wrote
I've been skiing out west since '96 and have yet to have an issue.  My friend who may come has been to UT with me without issue...hopefully our wives don't feel it...first time out west for them
You did say that you've never been to Colorado. The base of A-basin is the summit of most resorts at west if they're tall. If you are sleeping at elevation in Colorado, I would expect it to be different. SLC is at the same height as Mt Mansfield for instance. Lots of water, jogging before you go, and everything else you can do to get acclimated will help.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Good to know - yeh when looking at some elevations....looks like CO has a few k's on UT...
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
The best solution I have come across is drink a LOT of water.  I wake up in the morning and first thing I do is drink 5/6 cups of water... and keep at it the entire trip.  It will also be important before you go out to make sure all the opening in your underwear line up.  Men have it so much easier for that.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
tjf1967 wrote
The best solution I have come across is drink a LOT of water.  I wake up in the morning and first thing I do is drink 5/6 cups of water... and keep at it the entire trip.  It will also be important before you go out to make sure all the opening in your underwear line up.  Men have it so much easier for that.
You could get a motorman's friend:

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
The way I put things together I will have piss all down my leg.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
There's a good chance I'll be spending part of this trip in Aspen, as we may leverage mountain collective passes for this trip...not a whole lot of info on Aspen so far but if anyone has any please provide it.  I know it ain't cheap around there, but then again most of the mainstream places are not cheap.  If we do base ourselves out of aspen/snowmass for a few days, the rest of the trip will definitely be at one of the off the more no-frills resorts.

I'm particularly interested in any info about Aspen vs Snowmass, where to stay, and getting around without having to drive in the morning and pay to park which I hear is a thing in Aspen.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Our daughter lives in Aspen, so we go almost every year.  We fly into Denver and drive to Aspen.  Flying directly to Aspen is risky.  The airport closes a lot due to weather, and then you  need to drive anyway.  There are also shuttle services directly to Aspen, but we like to tour a bit.
Once in Aspen you don't need a car.  Free public transportation to all the ski areas.  We usually hit the big three, Ajax, Highlands and Snowmass.  Snowmass is considered the intermediate paradise, but we have had some awesome powder days in the bowls there and hardly any high level skiers.  There's a lot more to it than most people think.  Highlands has a lot of high angle terrain, hike to Highlands bowl, etc.  and Ajax (Aspen) has something for everyone.  My preference is Highlands and Snowmass.  
We will be there Presidents we as well as my wife is a teacher.    We know the areas pretty well and have my daughter and husband for guides. XC ski to Pine Creek Cookhouse is a great experience.  You also  must hit the Woody Creek Tavern, Hunter S Thompson's old hang out.
Liftopia is about the best deal on tickets, but still pricey.  
We usually hit Loveland on the way back to Denver.
We are doing Saturday to Saturday, skiing Loveland on Friday.  Let me know if you want to meet out there.  Might cost you an IPA.

Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Pokolodi Lodge at snowmass is kind of low frills, continental breakfast, walk to the lifts place.  We stayed there a few times before our daughter had a big enough place for a guest room.  You can take the public transportation to Aspen, etc.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Snowmass is great.  Huge both wide and tall.  Some chairs that service blue and green trails may have long lines.  The black stuff you have almost all to your self.  On a powder day you can ski freshness all day no problem.  Some really fun tree skiing too.  They have a free first tracks program 2 or 3 days a week where you get on mt an hour or so early with an instructor.  Go in the highest level group.  The instructor is trolling for privates just give him a tip when done.  

New Belguim has a beer bar on snow by the Westin a must for Apres ski.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Thanks, great info guys.

K-man, I may be tapping into you for more info as I get the plan together - seems like you're pretty knowledgeable on the area and have the insider info via your daughter.  And yeh - I'd def be up to exchange some tips for beers (IPAs my drink of choice) and take some runs if it works out.

I was thinking almost the same itinerary if we do the Aspen plan - to hit Loveland or A-basin on Friday.

What's the story with A-basin vs Loveland
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Good choices. If you love the terrain at Snowbird Steamboat and Winter Park are kind of meh. Aspen has the goods. If Crested Butte has their North Face terrain open than it's worth the trek. It's seriously some of the best in bounds terrain in the country, if you like tech.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
So I think I'm starting to develop a plan here:

Sunday fly in, check out Denver for a few hours
Drive to Aspen
Ski Monday Aspen, off day Tues for other stuff, Wed ski again, then head down to Glenwood Springs and stay cheap somewhere maybe find a hot spring for Thursday to explore.  
Then head to Frisco and stay there to ski Loveland or A-basin (K-man any better suggestions for lodging...I just looked at a map and Frisco seemed close), then crash friends place in Denver Friday fly out Sat.  Get mountain collective pass and a 4-pack for our group for either Loveland or A-basin.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
If you don't already have your DEN tix, consider flying in to Eagle Vail (EGE). The price will be higher, but you eliminate 2+ hours of driving from Denver. Eagle puts you closer to both Aspen and Steamboat and it is a rock solid airport that is much less likely to close than the other mountain town airports. Steamboat probably meets your combined criteria best. Loveland is a bit smaller and has no town without a drive.
 Altitude-drink almost no alcohol the first 24 hours and drink a couple liters of water daily and you will probably be fine.  Try to get a humidifier for your room.
 As to the I 70 towns in Summit County during Presidents week if you get up early to ski you can have a really solid ski day and finish around 12 or one leaving time to go explore the town and still avoid the crowds. Breckenridge is a cool ski town.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Re lodging - we have stayed at the Choice Hotel properties in Frisco/Dillon area and would do again. Most include breakfast as well.  Think the Comfort has outdoor hot tub.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Last time we stayed in Frisco it was one of those: Choice, Best Western, something like that.  As far as A Basin vs Loveland goes, both are awesome.  Loveland is the sleeping giant, way bigger than you think and less skier traffic.  On a Friday you can ski untracked all day if it has snowed.  Loveland is my choice.  Free Cat skiing on the ridge (you have to sign a waiver and get a free card at the base when you get your ticket).
ADKMike, are you a Gore skier? If so we can talk before the trip.