Ski Blandford, MA 2/14/14

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ski Blandford, MA 2/14/14

nelsap
I was invited to speak about lost ski areas at Ski Blandford's Annual Senior Luncheon this year. I hadn't skied there in 11 years. The drive there was long and slow due to the recent dumping of snowfall - 12-18" solid from my house outside of Saratoga Springs to Blandford. The highways were not in the best of shape until I reached the tolls at I-90 where they were just wet with not a trace of snow on them. Route 20 in Western MA was also in good shape.

After my presentation I had about 2 hours in the afternoon to make some runs. Just about the entire mountain was open, thanks to the recent snowfall. Most trails were groomed, but a few were not.

The mountain has a vertical of 450', and is served by a beginner's Pony lift, and three double chairs. As you face the mountain and look from left to right, there is the Pony lift, the Broadway Chair, the Glades Chair, and the North Double. There is a fine mix of open slope skiing, narrower chutes and trails, and some gladed sections. Most terrain is fairly mellow, but on the North side, there are some serious but short drops, like the Bear trail. All chairs are classic Hall doubles. There also used to be a T-bar on the Lower Broadway Slope, that was removed several years ago, and only the top return remains.

I skied as many open trails as I could in the short time that I was there.

Blandford is a fun, family type ski area with a good mix of terrain for a day. It has a lot of "nooks and crannies" to discover. The staff is friendly, the lodge is classic, and overall, it is an excellent ski area!

Enjoy the photos, Jeremy

Trail Map
Trail Map

Broadway Double Chair
Broadway Double Chair

Looking towards the base from the Glade Slope
Towards the Base

Glades Double Chair
Glades Double Chair

North Double Chair
North Double Chair

High Road Trail
High Road Trail

Former Rope Tow Liftline
Former Rope Tow Liftline

Old T-bar Return
Old T-Bar Return
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org