classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Day Count 2013-2014

MC2 5678F589
I don't count.

But probably somewhere between 60 and 80. Only 2 or 3 full backcountry days, which is lame for me, but the highlights were the early season Jay day that TBatt and I caught, the 2 days in Jackson Hole, the 2 days in Targhee, 2 days at MRG, 2 Days at Killington, 4 Day late March vacation at Jay, 2 good days at Whiteface, and my usual 14 days at West and 30+ days at Gore. All in all, a good season. Still hoping to do a Tuckerman trip for my birthday weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I am not a day counter or a vertical counter either. I had too few days in the BC this year, when the corn came I got a few days in, but had trouble finding company. Earlier in the season I felt the snow pack was way too dangerous and only glades were safe. My one weekend I had for Tucks the weather turned fowl and thats a place where the weather has to be perfect. We had a lot of great powder days in the trees this year. I had some good lift served this year, but it's getting harder to barter a ticket.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Counting ski days is more of a flatlander thing.

The greater the love of skiing to ski day ratio the more likely you are to count I think.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I keep a log all all my days.  I do it so I can make sure I get paid correctly and track my signed in days so I know if I'm on track to meet the required work days.

I have my logs going back to 1992.  It can be kinda of fun to look back at them in the middle of the summer
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ski Day Count 2014-2015

Gunny J
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Thank god I don't have a girl and my son would rather ski than do anything else
        Sorry for you Big Z, some of my best ski days have been shared with my daughter not just my  three sons. My daughter used to take dance lessons , get all dressed up  with make up and glider in her hair and then go out and kill  it on the Soccer field.
    Some folks are just over educated and narrow minded to appreciate everything Life has to offer.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I only have one kid a boy so all things female remain a mystery to me.  

My experience based on my friends that have girls.  The dating, mom and daughter civil war, fashion budgets etc plus what I witnessed of the freak show dance contest certainly make me happy just to have a son.  I'm sure raising a girl has it's moments as well but I just don't have that perspective.  

My son likes baseball, football, having a root beer with dad at the pub after golfing and freaking loves to ski.  I'm blessed.  I'm sure other dads  with girls are as well In their own ways.  I just get to ski more as there is no dance, plays, or others complications to get in the way.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
 all things female remain a mystery to me.  

Hey, you and SJ have something in common

Bwhahahahahahahahahhhahahaha
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I don't count.

But probably somewhere between 60 and 80. Only 2 or 3 full backcountry days, which is lame for me, but the highlights were the early season Jay day that TBatt and I caught, the 2 days in Jackson Hole, the 2 days in Targhee, 2 days at MRG, 2 Days at Killington, 4 Day late March vacation at Jay, 2 good days at Whiteface, and my usual 14 days at West and 30+ days at Gore.
All due respect, but it looks to me like you counted.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I have my logs going back to 1992.  It can be kinda of fun to look back at them in the middle of the summer
Nice...I started when I was 16...back in 1981-82. I started the previous season, but I stopped keeping track at the first week of February.

I can tell you that this season I've beaten my previous high on March 30 and I've added a full month worth in April and hoping to continue the streak. For those who care to know, the previous high was 65 (Oct-Sep) and I stand currently at 77.

Not necessarily a flatlander thing, more like a numbers/stats person thing of type of thing.

Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
In reply to this post by Gunny J
Gunny J wrote
Coach Z wrote
Thank god I don't have a girl and my son would rather ski than do anything else
        Sorry for you Big Z, some of my best ski days have been shared with my daughter not just my  three sons. My daughter used to take dance lessons , get all dressed up  with make up and glider in her hair and then go out and kill  it on the Soccer field.

Ditto. At my high school daughter's travel soccer game now.  We have a great time skiing everything at WF together, including the Slides.  We don't mind putting up with the dance freaks to watch her tap.  Best golfer on her team.  Honors student to boot.  Lots 'o positive girl stoke.  I let my wife deal with the teenage girl crap, of which there is much!  Other than always poking and annoying each other, the boys are a little easier....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MadPatSki
MadPatSki wrote
Not necessarily a flatlander thing, more like a numbers/stats person thing of type of thing.
I think they are way more flatlanders here than pro statisticians MadPat. ;)

And I do believe you are a flatlander too... n'est-ce pas?

^^That's a little facetious. IO do know locals who count their days.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Harvey wrote
MadPatSki wrote
I think they are way more flatlanders here than pro statisticians MadPat. ;)

And I do believe you are a flatlander too... n'est-ce pas?
Not sure what the exact definition of flatlander is?

Flatlander definitions

YES on #1.
Low elevation : yes. However people living in Saskatchewan in the Prairie live at a relatively higher elevation to sea level, but the place is flatter than Montreal or Ottawa.

NOT REALLY ON #2.
mountain people use to describe tourist that don't have the skills/knowledge to recreate in the mountains : I don't view myself as a tourist, but I could definitely be more knowledgeable about bc.

DEFINITELY NOT ON #4.
A person from any large city who does not know how to drive well on roads that aren't straight and flat. You can tell one because when you get stuck behind them on a mountain road they take the curves at a snails pace, but when you finally come to a flat/straight stretch (where you could potentially pass their slow ass) they speed up like crazy till the next curve. Lather, rinse, repeat. --Insult is added to injury when the flat landers have a large truck/SUV/other form of 4-wheel drive and do this.  

OKAY, YES ON #5.
Used by native Vermonters to describe people from anywhere else in the country

NOPE ON #6.
A person that comes from south of Interstate 80 to hunt in Northern Pennsylvania

NOPE ACCORDING TO # 11 even if, as a kid from Quebec, we went down to Old Orchard a few times.
Anyone who resides anywhere south of Maine, any area typically referred to as "Boston". Anyone driving a vehicle without a cracked windshield and working directionals. These people are typically middle class white folk from the suburbs of Boston, Hartford, NYC etc. Flatlanders are not to be confused with the masses of particular people streaming south from Quebec to Old Orchard Beach.

DEFINITELY NOT ON #12, not rich and don't drive anything big or gas guzziling.
A term given by Vermonters to rich, out of staters (such as people from Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts) as they come up to Vermont in their big, gas guzziling SUVs to ski at the many ski resorts in Vermont.

NOPE on #13:
one who does not usually drive on mountain roads

The count according to the Urban dictionnary: MadPat is a flatlanders? YES : 2 NO : 6
Hope that answer's your question Harv. Yes, it's the Anal yst in me that comes up with stuff like that, sorry. :)

Carry on and back to the regularly schedule topic.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography