1) 11-16-19 Mount Snow - First day on new skis. Pretty happy with them. Stuck mostly to greens.
2) 11-17-19 Mount Snow - Variable snow. Fell a lot. Probably fatigued. Lost confidence on blues. Sore Monday.
3) 11-23-19 Okemo- Icy! Skiing better. Still nervous.
4) 11-24-19 Mount Snow- Freezing Rain. Visibility terrible. Skigee is awesome. Lifts closed at 11:30 due to icing
5) 11-30-19 Mount Snow. Met new ski diva friend. Sunny, crowded, icy. Confidence back on blues. Skiing better.
6) 12-1-19 Mount Snow. Snow much nicer and coverage excellent. Great private lessson w/K. Technique improving.
7) 12-2-19 Hunter 24” of FRESH POWDER! Fun laps on Beltway all day while friends did diamonds. Practiced what I learned in lesson yesterday. Felt confident even though light flat and visibility poor. ❤️ My new skis.
8) 12-7-19 Mount Snow- gorgeous sunny day. Groomers w/ snowmaking were excellent packed powder all day. Crashed on the ungroomed One More Time on first run. Not what I expected. Went back in the afternoon after getting warmed up and confidence back and tackled the little bumps and crud.
9) 12-8-19 Gore- First time here. Blues/greens were awesome- loved Showcase and Quicksilver. Good lesson- worked on rounder turns and upper/lower separation. Skied first diamond of the year on Topridge. Very steep and ice/boilerplate most of the way. Side slipped and did falling leaf on the worst of it but made it down ok.
** skis tuned on 12-11-19
10) 12-13-19 Mount Snow- Founders Day crowds and thick fog didn’t stop me from doing lots of laps on Canyon, Ridge, and Sweet 16 to Coopers Jctn. Snow really nice. New low light lens worked well. G said I am finally keeping my upper body facing downhill and making some improvements with smoother/rounder turns. I got the last chair of the day at 3:29- ski patrol said I had 40 seconds to get on, so I got a bonus run. Bummed out that rain/ice/wind are coming.
11) 12-21-19: Stowe- Spruce Peak was so wonderful we did 20 hot laps there. Sunny. Didn’t want to leave. Later at the Lodge a never-ever skier arrived with a broken leg and a terrifying story about Gondolier.
12) 12-22-19: Stowe- First trip up FourRunner quad was scary. Firm/scratchy conditions. Took mountain tour to Gondola runs. Beautiful and sunny there, but scratched off and icy in many spots. Finished at Sunny Spruce.
13) 21-23-19: Stowe- Beautiful sunny Spring Skiing conditions! Started at Mansfield and skied all the open blues. Feeling confident went to Sensation and hit Upper Mainstreet/ Mainstreet Headwall- lots of fun.
14) 12-24-19: Stowe- Cold, firm and fast at Mansfield. Sunny. Very skied off/icy after lunch everywhere.
15) 12-25-19: Stowe- Hit FourRunner by 7:45. Nice, sunny, empty, blue groomers early. Got 12 runs of Christmas. Left when it got too crowded and icy at 11:30. No falls in 5 days of hard skiing at Stowe 😊. Super happy.
16) 12-28-19: Mount Snow- Very busy/crowded. Skied Sunbrook, Ego Alley, Ridge, South Bowl. Warm sunny afternoon.
17) 1-4-20: Mount Snow- Rainy/foggy, nice soft snow. 1st time on North Face. Loved Fallen Timbers. Getting upper/lower separation but still skiing fairly flat and rotating legs to turn. Work on getting up on edges more.
18) 1-5-20: Mount Snow- Cold, sunny. Lesson w/ club. Skied ‘til 4 despite foggy goggles. Icy under lots of machine made snow. Choke and Rollercoaster were particularly fun. Very crowded for a Sunday.
** Skis Tuned 1-6-20.
19) 1-10-20: Hunter- Warm day w/spring conditions. Great laps on Belt Parkway, Way Out, Rip’s Retun, & Overlook.
20) 1-11-20: Okemo- Amazing, sunny, warm, spring hero snow day! Loved Quantum Leap and Blind Faith!
21) 1-12-20: Hunter- Gorgeous soft spring skiing on the south face w/Echo from Ski Divas! Belt Parkway was nasty but we found better terrain. I skied diamonds (Minya Konka, Hellgate, Lower Crossover, Upper K-27, East Side Drive) and moguls that would have terrified me if the snow was not so lovely.
22) 1-17-20: Mount Snow- OC club trip w/G, D, and J. Cold! Sunny! Tons of machine made snow! Skied Plummet, Freefall, and Beartrap for the 1st time- loved it! Huge whales on Freefall. Carving/edging much better.
23) 1-18-20: Okemo- Hid from MLK crowds on South Face & Glades Peak. Mueller’s Run & World Cup were a blast. Very cold!!
24) 1-19-20: Mount Snow- 6” Pow! Big moguls on Chute 😳. Made it down ok. Practiced/learned about skiing moguls with G all day. Narrowed stance, worked side doors, pole plants, retraction, rhythm. Lots of runs in on tertiary lift. Skied till legs were jelly.
25) 1-25-20: Mount Snow- 7:30 AM Express chairs! Super Foggy! Enjoyed Lodge & Thanks Walt. Left before freezing rain shut down lifts after noon.
26) 1-26-20: Bromley- Flat skiing/short radius turns lesson in AM on Twister. Fast carves after that. Chased the experts to the other side of the Mtn after lunch- got coached on bumps skills. Need to narrow stance. Awesome snow today.
27) 1-31-20: Stowe- Perfect sunny ski day w/ great snow. Got 34,000 vert ft. Skied Hayride and Nosedive for the first time. Gondola runs were awesome.
28) 2-1-20: Stowe- Super foggy! Did fun laps on Hayride. Enjoyed the mini Moguls on lower T-line.
29) 2-2-20: Stowe- Clouds came & went. Sunrise, Nosedive, Perry Merril, Gondolier, then hot laps at Spruce. Hit 30,000 vert ft.
30) 2-3-20: Hunter- Beautiful day with soft snow and good friends. Skied double diamonds for the first time- Racers Edge, Clair’s Way, Upper Crossover. Practiced side slips, pivot slips, smearing down backs of moguls. Hit over 34,000 vert ft.
31) 2-8-20: Okemo- Got first tracks on fresh corduroy on The Plunge! Then fun runs on Exhibition, Boomerang, and Nor’easter! South Face was icier.
32) 2-9-20: Whiteface- Skied Excelsior, Parrons, Mountain Run, Skyward (awesome!), and Wilmington Trail with Megan. Beautiful sunny day!
33) 2-16-20 Mount Snow- 4” Freshies! Loved Uncles, Hop, Illusion, Overbrook, and One More Time. Practiced narrowing stance in bumps, pole plants, rhythm. Nice warm day and no lines (weekday).
34) 2-22-20 Magic Mtn- Beautiful Sunny Day. Skis overdue for a tune.
35) 2-25-20 Mt Snow- w/OC club
36) 2-23-20 Bromley- Beautiful day! Played on rollers on Twister- fun little jumps! W/OC club friends
*** Skis tuned 2-25-20
37) 2-28-20 Mt Snow- W/OC friends. North face had the best snow!
38) 2-29-20 Whiteface- Epic post-POW day. Powder on Cloudspin and Niagara. Packed pow and soft bumps everywhere else
39) 3-1-20 Whiteface- First tracks on Excelsior was awesome! Loved Hoyt’s High. Skyward was challenging but awesome. Packed powder conditions everywhere. Gorgeous day.
40) 3-4-20 Sugarbush- Highly Variable conditions- ice to mush. Still skied all day with OC friends. Fun times.
41) 3-7-20 Okemo- Sunny day w/dust on crust.
42) 3-8-20 Mt Snow- Icy dust on crust AM. Lesson on North Face practicing “w” turns, smearing, side slips, pivot slips, falling leaf, etc. in a narrow corridor. Skied icy steeps very slowly and in control... sometimes backwards-ish. Little Steep was intimidating. Afternoon trails softened up beautifully.
Every year I predict that "this will be the year" and every year turns out to not be "the year". Season is young, however.
Day 01 - 12/6/19 - Stratton - 1/2 the mountain open w/decent snow.
Day 02 - 1/13/20 - Killington - 40% of the mountain open w/decent man made snow.
Day 03 - 1/14/20 - Killington - 45% of the mountain open w/decent man made snow.
Day 04 - 1/29/20 - Sugarbush - Lincoln Peak - 100% open except glades. Perfect sunny day.
Day 05 - 1/30/20 - Sugarbush - Lincoln Peak - 100% open except glades. Perfect sunny day.
Day 06 - 1/31/20 - Sugarbush - Mt. Ellen - 100% open except glades. Perfect sunny day.
I think today would have been around 35 for me but decided to stay in. We got a fluffy 2 of 3 inches last night but my lower back is stiff from yesterday and I slept in. I will do a little snow shoeing around the property. Need to work my way out to the barn and put a few things away for the misses.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.