Ski Wisdom....and other BC advice!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Wisdom....and other BC advice!

JTG4eva!
The boarder at Crystal on Saturday who had a screw come loose on his binding was very appreciative of the tool kit I had in my pack!

Agreed, the best defense is a good offense.  Be smart and avoid getting caught in an avalanche to begin with.  But accidents happen, mistakes get made, and tree wells are another hazard the AvaLung could help with.  It's not your safety, just an added piece of insurance for $100.

I was going to say in my question if I get the chance to ski real avy terrain.....but it would be wrong to discount the danger on the EC.  Less likely to need the air when buried.....but back to the relatively cheap insurance policy.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
JTG4eva! wrote
The boarder at Crystal on Saturday who had a screw come loose on his binding was very appreciative of the tool kit I had in my pack!

Agreed, the best defense is a good offense.  Be smart and avoid getting caught in an avalanche to begin with.  But accidents happen, mistakes get made, and tree wells are another hazard the AvaLung could help with.  It's not your safety, just an added piece of insurance for $100.

I was going to say in my question if I get the chance to ski real avy terrain.....but it would be wrong to discount the danger on the EC.  Less likely to need the air when buried.....but back to the relatively cheap insurance policy.
I have an avalung, it came with a 2011 BD pack that I got on Sierra Trading Post, it was the same price as the non-avalung packs so I figured why not. I've never been in a slide of any sort so haven't tested it out yet...

To be honest, if I were caught in a slide I'm not so sure I would be able to get it in my mouth in time. I try to have it near my mouth when I'm skiing in avalanche terrain, but again I haven't had to make use of it. Personally I would not pay extra money for one. I figure there is more useful equipment out there, and if you plan on skiing out west a lot you could save up for an airbag pack.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Binding repair items. A few zip ties come in handy. They worked in this instance for a little while, but the ski edge would eventually cut through. The cord held up fine to some extent.

I had to repair a freeride once. The repair was simple: I bought a pair of Dynafits. Fixed the problem permanently.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
I'm with ya.I've also moved on
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by jjp24
Searching around a bit I found a TGR thread re: AvaLung.  Of the dozen or so contributors to the thread....

One had a friend who's life was saved by AvaLung, surviving 45 minutes buried until rescue because he had the device.

At least on owns and had used the device in an actual Avalanche scenario.  While not buried and can't say it saved their life...having it contributed somewhat to keeping a level head and getting through the situation.

Several credit the device with helping them through tree well situations, where the ability to breath allowed them to keep their head and not freak out while they figured out how to extricate themselves.

That's sample enough for me to throw down $75 for something I will most likely never use.  

Yes, the question of 'do you ski the run with it in your mouth?' came up.  Some said yes, others kept the mouthpiece out and close.  The right answer is that if you have it you should put it in your mouth, I suppose.  If you start discerning 'this slope looks dangerous enough that I'm more likely to need it'....well, you should definitely be avoiding that slope!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Just like ice I will let someone else go first.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Yes, the question of 'do you ski the run with it in your mouth?' came up.  Some said yes, others kept the mouthpiece out and close.  The right answer is that if you have it you should put it in your mouth, I suppose.  If you start discerning 'this slope looks dangerous enough that I'm more likely to need it'....well, you should definitely be avoiding that slope!
This and more this.

Also, with the forces involved in a slide, you probably have to bite down pretty hard to not have it ripped out of your mouth.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Goes back to the days of pins and cables but I still ski with a Leatherman on my belt. Have a Buck knive also, gift from one of my sons.. A wrap of duct tape just under the grip of the poles has come in to use more than once.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
IMO #1 is don't rely on technology to save your ass:

Reliance on Technology Makes the Backcountry More Dangerous
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Adk Jeff wrote
IMO #1 is don't rely on technology to save your ass:

Reliance on Technology Makes the Backcountry More Dangerous
That article has absolutely no data to back up its premise that technology makes the outdoors more dangerous. A data point is really needed to show that. Part of the problem with saying "we are receiving more calls for help" is that that does not in and of itself prove people are taking more risks specifically because of technology.

It does prove that more people have technology and/or there are more people in the outdoors. Maybe there is an issue with tech... but I suspect the real/bigger problem is people not being prepared or having experience. Tech doesn't cause people to be stupid, people do that on their own with or without tech.

More to the point, no one plans on getting hurt, injured, lost, buried, etc. Just last week, a skier that works for an avalanche center... a PRO, died in an avi. Even the best who use their head and don't rely on tech get hurt or worse. The only remedy for that is to not take risks. We all draw our own line in the sand there, I'm fine sitting out avi terrain during the winter. But to those that go into avi terrain... when pros get killed all the time... it tells me that the deck is already stacked against everyone so if you make the decision to go, you might as well go with whatever tech you think might make a difference when you push too far. I don't think anyone with an avalung will make a different decision specifically because of that tech.