classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ski conditioning

Z
From my thread on topics ML asked about a conditioning piece.  I thought that this would be better as a forum post so that others could more easily share what they do for ski conditioning as every ones issues and approaches are somewhat different.

I have a few issues that I have to work on to maintain my ability to ski at a high level.  I have very tight IT Bands.  I stretch daily for at least 15 mins.  If I miss a day I pay for it big time.  I do calf, quad and hamstring stretches.  One of the best hammy stretches is to lay on your back and use a towel around your heel to pull the leg back while keeping it straight.  For IT bands i also do several lateral stretches to lossen up the hips.  I learned them from a PT and I suggest that ML considers getting some professional help from either a PT, a trainer, or a good sports massage clinic to teach you the right way and avoid the wrong way to stretch form you particular issues.  I'm sure there are better folks to address this topic than me so please add in.

I also have had back soreness when skiing.  This year I made a concerted effort to really work on my core this fall and continue on during the season.  I do crunches on a ball, leg raises, regular crunches, pelvic lifts, push ups on the core ball, and hold a few yoga poses for a minute each.  This work out takes about 15 mins a day and I do it every day that I don't ski.  It has made a major difference in my comfort skiing this year.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time