Ski train update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ski train update

PeeTex
Saw this today, they are planning to offer overnight sleeping accommodations on sleeping cars at North Creek.
Ride up Friday mid day, stay in sleeper cars and return on Sunday to Saratoga to connect with Amtrak.

http://poststar.com/news/local/saratoga-north-creek-railway-to-offer-new-overnight-snow-train/article_64be295a-c28d-512e-a46e-1943dcf493c0.html

and it's not even April 1st...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ski train update

Z
The question is can you get enough NYC city skiers that don't have cars  to do this each weekend to stay in business?  I doubt it but it is a cool idea.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This is such a cool idea in theory... Probably won't be successful
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I have always wondered if NC lost business in the winter when the train started, they use to run a lot of snowmobile traffic on the train tracks in the winter. This might bring some business to a few restaurants and bars though
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
PeeTex wrote
 they use to run a lot of snowmobile traffic on the train tracks in the winter.
You need snow for that so, sad to say, it may not matter.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
So from NYC you would take an early Friday train to Saratoga, and then switch, arriving at North Creek sometime when exactly? Sounds inconvenient to me.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
and going the other direction you would not be able to ski more than a half day on Sunday I would think

From a business perspective it seems like a lot of capital investment for a pretty risky return potential.  Wonder what they plan to charge for all this.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
yea sounds like a pita.

but not as bad as back in the day when i had a little drivers license issue and was catching the commuter train friday afternoons with all my ski shit from yonkas to pougheepsie to ski huntah