classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skiing Thanksgiving Weekend (2011)

Cornhead

Powderqueen wrote
I'm going to see the latest Warren Miller flick the Thanksgiving eve in Syracuse. Free lift ticket giveaways too..for Gore, Sugarbush, Swain and Greek Peak.
I'm going to see the latest Warren Miller flick the Thanksgiving eve in Syracuse. Free lift ticket giveaways too..for Gore, Sugarbush, Swain and Greek Peak.
Damn, wasn't aware they were giving a Gore pass in Syracuse. I saw it in Binghamton, got the Sugarbush pass there, and the usual Windham pass. Sugarbush was the best free pass I've gotten from a Warren Miller movie since they gave a Killington pass quite a few years ago.  I'll be skiing two days this Winter at Sugarbush with my son, I got two half price tickets from Boston.com also.  I'd like to hit MRG while in the neighborhood, but my son is a darksider. Can't wait, never been.

I might go somewhere to ski this weekend, Bellayre maybe?
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Family stuff, but will probably be at Gore on Sunday, just maybe Sat. too, but it's up in the air.  I haven't even pulled the ski stuff out yet, now where are those gloves??????
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Gore picked up i'd say 6-10.  We drove up, but opted to ski Hickory.  Too much commotion at Gore with opening day coming up.  IMO Hickory has better low terrain considering pitch and a grassy surface..

The East has lucked out for Turkey day openings
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Looks like the Face, Fri. and Sat. Can't wait! They're claiming 14", whatever was blown on prior, should be good. Not expecting to sniff the summit. Should look pertty though.
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The only thing surprising to me (if true, I haven't checked) is the lack of any SoVT area. Stratton? Who's got the best snowmaking in VT south of Kmart?

Temps have certainly not been ideal in Central VT or the Daks. To my knowledge nobody had a significant run of round the clock snowmaking.

70s Gore Kid wrote
...Hunters website sounds like they are all in a deep funk...
Hunter's "funk" will end up being to Hunter skiers advantage.  It wouldn't surprise me if Hunter reaches 90% open before any other mountain in the northeast. They pride themselves on wise use of awesome resources.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Stratton, Mount Snow, and Bromley can all get open in a hurry.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Foggy tonight as the snow evaporates.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
adkskier wrote
Foggy tonight as the snow evaporates.
Fog is the enemy - it sucks the moisture out of snow and makes it evaporate not even melt
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Okemo is open, but just barely.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Fog is the enemy - it sucks the moisture out of snow and makes it evaporate not even melt

that's a new one..how does snow evaporate in a foggy  ( saturated) environment ??

snow melts faster during fog   because water has a higher specific heat than air. thus transferring the heat to the snow more efficiently..also not allowing any evaporation cooling ...
kind of like a hot humid day feels warmer than a drier day at the same temp..

"Peace and Love"